Need advice for a mean roo

kcw0525

In the Brooder
Sep 26, 2015
Choctaw
We have two flocks on our property, one consisting of one female turkey and three hens, and the other consisting of 10 hens and two roosters. So 15 chickens total. (Two separate coops, but they all run together during the day).

Recently, maybe over the past two months, our Blue Andalusian rooster has been getting very fiesty with me and our friend who is renting from us (the other flock momma). He's been running up to us, showing us his chest and attacking and spurring us. It kept getting worse and worse over the past two months, and I've just about had it. I love the guy, because he does a great job at protecting the flock(s) - minus Georgia the Turkey. He runs her off all the time :( My friend however, isn't enjoying him because since her hens started laying before mine, he started mating early and now their back feathers are all ruined from him overmating them (is overmating a word?). Our other rooster, Bigfoot (Partridge Cochin), doesn't act like he would protect the flock. The main reason we kept him was in case we wanted to breed our chickens, we wanted a bigger bird in the gene pool. But unfortunately, poor Bigfoot can't get any kind of tail mainly because Blue attacks him when Bigfoot even attempts to mate. And of course, we kept Blue because he DID protect the flock. But now he's turned on us and is trying to (I guess) protect them from us (you know, the people that bring him food and goodies).

We've done a little bit of research. I've seen some where they say let them attack you and ignore them and then an hour later come back and feed them, to show them you aren't a threat. I tried that for a week straight before I gave up. My legs were bruised like crazy (and luckily I was wearing jeans and not shorts). Then I was told to hit them with a big stick (sorry to those who believe this is wrong). So I've tried that... multiple times. And so has our friend. And well, that obviously didn't work. We've also tried crating him, thinking that possibly the time separated from the flock would allow Bigfoot to swoop in and become alpha. But that didn't work either. Another thing we read, but haven't tried is the file down the spurs. The only reason we haven't done this because it doesn't correct any behavior, just makes the beatings less painful. The weird thing is is that Blue won't attack my husband or my friend's boyfriend. He just attacks women. And my breaking point was when he came straight up to me in the middle of our chicken yard and jumped up and nearly got my face. And then didn't back down from the fight.

So our next step is killing him, but I don't want to jump to that if there's ANYTHING I can do. I know it may be a lost cause. But I'm asking just in case, because I do love the way he looks after the girls. So if there's anything I can do, please let me know and I will try it. Thanks in advance.

I can tell you that you have already been more lenient towards a nasty roo than I would have ever been. I usually give a roo the benefit of the doubt if he charges or attacks. Maybe I startled him or he's on edge or whatever. Repeated attacks are actions of outright aggression, however. Overly aggressive roos can be downright dangerous, especially if you have kids or even small dogs running around. One mean bird is not worth you not enjoying the rest of your flock. You can always replace him or even just let your Cochin have the girls. He'll gain more confidence with him being the only roo. My advice is that ole' Blue needs to go bye-bye. Don't get me wrong, it's good to have a roo that will protect his girls, but once he starts putting you in danger, it's not worth keeping him. Hope everything works out for you.
smile.png

Last edited:
IMO rehabilitation is a long and not necessarily a successful journey. Better to cull him and ensure that with future roos you are proactive in the manner that you treat him. He has to know that you are top dog - period.

All the best
CT

IMO rehabilitation is a long and not necessarily a successful journey. Better to cull him and ensure that with future roos you are proactive in the manner that you treat him. He has to know that you are top dog - period.

All the best
CT

So, how do you keep them from getting to the point of being mean?

So, how do you keep them from getting to the point of being mean?

Really, once you have a mean roo, you have a mean roo. Aggressiveness varies by breed and the individual bird and it's usually not preventable. It's part of the bird's personality. There are things people have tried such as carrying around the roo for a while, showing him that he isn't in total control, but I find that, more often than not, if a roo has the nerve to spur a person, he'll readily do it again.

Eight pound birds who attack the huge individuals that bring food every day are idiots, driven by out of control hormones, and no sense. He's unfixable, and should never have offspring, and is a danger to everyone. While he's stalking you, he's not watching out for his hens! Mary

He really needs to be culled. If there are any small children, they are in danger. And he more than likely will eventually attack the men. It just gets worse and worse.

Personally, I have a theory, that roosters raised up in a multi generational flock, with older birds, are better birds. They learn chicken societal behavior. Older and bigger birds thump some manners into them. This is not fool proof, but I have had others agree with me, that one gets better roosters this way.

Many times when people first start with chickens they get a flock of chicks, and one or two (or more) turn out to be roosters. The roosters are the darlings, they are brave, and often times approach people, sit on their lap. People love them, and think that they love people back, but this is a total misread of cues on both parts. In chicken society, if a bird approaches a bird, it is a test of pecking order. The bird approached either stands up to this bird, or squats down or runs away indicating submisivness. Rooster chicks get bigger than the pullets quickly, and are sexually active before the pullets, he is big enough to get what he wants. He thinks he is the biggest thing in the world.

If this is your first flock, I strongly recommend just having hens the first year, and get some experience. Roosters are a crap shoot, some are good, some are terrible and some go from the darling to the nightmare, but they all take some experience.

Next year, either add chicks, or look around for a nice rooster, people really do have roosters so nice they hate to cull them. The brain in the rooster is very small, just not a lot to train.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom