Need advice for a novice

cwilly

Hatching
11 Years
Apr 6, 2008
Hi

I have decided to venture into the world of chickens and must admit I don't know anything about it. I have turned my old garden shed into a coop, built nesting boxes, and made a chicken run. I am very excited to get my first chickens, but I would appreciate some advice. I only want a few chickens to start off, and then see where it goes from there. I would appreciate any advice such as the best chickens for brown eggs, chicken care, and when and what to feed them. I also live in the country, so I am very concerned about predators.

Thanks-
(please pardon if any of this sounds silly, I am not up with the "chicken lingo" yet!!)

Welcome to the board. I put your post in "everything else chicken" rather than in forum feed back and announcements.

You can pretty much start with any breed you want. Calmer ones will be stuff like orps, rocks, cochins, and so on. What are you looking for?

cwilly~ I am just starting too......you have come to the right place. I've only been here for a few days and i've learned so much.

I have learned about where to get the chicks, brooders, feed and etc....in just a short time. Just keep exploring this site and you will learn alot.

What are some specific questions you have? One thing i've learned is if you are going to start small it's best to go to a local feed store and get chicks there. Many of the hatcheries you order form will only sell 15 to 20 chicks at a time. If you do get them at the feed store you basically get what they have ordered. You may not get the exact breed you want but they should have some brown egg layers, white egg layers and possibly some colorful egg layers.

I punched in "Raising Chicks" and got a ton of info....try doing a search like that. You can find all the details about feed and etc........It takes more to raising hens than i ever thought.

Oh yes and this board is addictive....just be aware. Hahah!!!

Take care,
Jodie

Last edited:
Good Luck with just wanting a few. I also just wanted a few...like 5 but ended up with 17 and am going this weekend to get some more.

Enjoy your new chickies when you get them. You will find this forum to be a godsend when it comes to questions and answers and also very addictive. Have Fun!

Quote:
I'm glad i'm not the only one!!!!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom