Need advice for coop placement.

LanaJ

In the Brooder
May 11, 2016
West Central IL
Newbie here. I am going to build a 4 x 8 coop for my 4 buff orpington pullets. What I need help in deciding is should I face the narrow end or the wide end to the south. I want to have enough window space for the winter to help with coop warmth but I don't want it to get too hot either. Which ever way I face it, the windows would be open for summer. There would also be windows on the opposite side to help with heat/ventilation. There are no trees unfortunately.

Can you post a photo/drawing of your design?

We have a non-opening window facing south (it gets up to 100-108F in summer) and have no problem with it. We have decent vents along the bottom and top of the coop. In fact, there are vents completely around the top of the roof, about 2 inches wide in a 4x8 coop. During the heat of the day, they are hiding in shade anyways. Will they free range? If so, they will find shade near the house, shady side of coop or plants/trees. If not, be sure to provide large areas of shade in your run, if it is not covered.

I'm planning on south windows - just don't know if I should place the coop so the hens can have more room to get away from the sun shining in the windows during the winter if they want to. If I put the 4' side to the south they have 8' to move away from the windows. If I put the 8'side to the south, they only have 4' to get away from the windows.

Ours sit right in front of the south facing window during winter. They love it. Even in the warmer spring. Winter gets down to -15F here, but averages around 10-20F.

I don't really have a "design". I'm one of those people who just figure it out as I go. I know I want exterior nest boxes on the east side to keep away from winter winds as much as possible. The pop hole will be on the west, but will have a little enclosed 'porch' to block the west and north winter winds from blowing in. It will be a raised coop, with a large door for clean out either on the north or east side, depending on how I set the coop. There will also be windows on the north for cross ventilation in the summer. The roof will be metal on a slant that is raised for ventilation like the picture on the right (which I believe belongs to someone on this forum) with the pitch at about the angle of the picture on the left. Also, the coop and run will be inside a 6' chain link fence so I can run a tarp from the top of the fence to the coop to help with shade and keep summer rain out.

I have 3 pieces of 18x24 plexiglass that I will be using for windows. If I put the 4' side south, I will use two of them placed vertically like the picture on the left. If the 8' side is south, I will use all three placed horizontally and get more to make north facing window(s).

Back
Top Bottom