Need advice for lethargic chick with no sign of illness

chuckun

Songster
7 Years
Sep 26, 2014
Hello, I am new to chickens and to the forum. I have 4 chicks, all of them almost 3 weeks old. My Buff Orpington ("Blondie") has been lethargic for a few days. I treated all with Sulmed in case there was a cocci situation brewing, but everyone is healthy, eating and drinking. All are active, some more than others. Just this one is almost always down, in a corner or huddled next to another chick or two. The Brahma, who looks very healthy although she is the smallest, often sits with Blondie as if to keep her company.

Blondie shows no other signs of illness: eyes clear and open, no discharge or foot problems. She doesn't wheeze or make strange sounds. She jumps and runs if I try to pick her up, but then they are all pretty skittish when we try to hold them. Is she OK? I looked back at video we took when they were two days old, and she was just as active as the others then. The difference in activity level now is pronounced.

I would really appreciate feedback from experienced folks because I just don't know what to do. Should I accept that she's different, or intervene somehow? I thought of giving her some vitamin B but I understand I should not supplement until the Sulmed treatment is done.

Thank you so much for your thoughts.

Thank you for the response! Blondie is eating and drinking and, actually, she's a good size - the Brahma ("Holly") is the small one. She's even pooping just fine. Everything seems OK except for Blondie's lethargy.

I've read that lethargy is a sign of ill health but I can't figure out what's wrong. She's not being bullied. The brooder is clean and warm. I am just perplexed. What could I be missing?

Lethargy is usually the first sign of coccidiosis in chicks this age that were previoulsy acting completely normal. Sulmet only treats two strains of cocci, there are at least 9, Sulmet is also rather harsh on them. So it's possible she's trying to fight off a case of it. You might try running a course of Corid, it's much more effective against more strains and it's much gentler on them. Then you'll have at least ruled out that possibility. That is what I would do first and see if she feels any better.

After the course of Corid I'd add some vitamins and probiotic's to their water as well.

Last edited:
Thank you! Should I start the Corid right away or stop everything for a couple of days and then restart with Corid? I gave a full dose of sulmed for 2 days, and today is the third (and second to last) day at half-dose, per the recommendations.

For vitamins and probiotics what do you recommend? I appreciate it!

I would just start it right away, if by chance she is trying to fight off a case of coccidiosis you want to be on top of it quickly.

For vitamins I use Avian Super Pak but I order it on-line, I've never been able to find it locally. Tractor Supply usually has the little packets of powdered probiotic's to add to their water right next to the Save-A-Chick electrolytes, same package. They'd probably also have some vitamins as well.

If you can't easily find any bird vitamins locally get some brewers yeast, it's pretty much a B complex multivitamin in itself, and will replenish the B1 lost during amprolium treatment... Not that it's cost efficient but almost all grocery stores will have a jar of baking yeast and for chicks that will be enough... Check the health food isle (or health food store) or what not for larger containers of yeast if you want to get it at a better price... For this purpose either active yeast (bread yeast) or dried dead yeast (supplement) will do the trick... Just sprinkle the yeast on top of their food...

Last edited:
It certainly is more challenging than I expected. Only 3 weeks and despite all my preparatory research I am discovering something new every day. Thanks so much for the responses! Here are some pics in case they trigger more ideas. Blondie is the Buff Orp I'm concerned about. You can see her both on her feet and in sitting mode. All taken just now:

I would definitely start Corid. It would be the first thing to jump into my mind. I don't know much about Sulmet, but I usually use something else called sulfadimethoxine.

Thank you for the response! Blondie is eating and drinking and, actually, she's a good size - the Brahma ("Holly") is the small one. She's even pooping just fine. Everything seems OK except for Blondie's lethargy.

I've read that lethargy is a sign of ill health but I can't figure out what's wrong. She's not being bullied. The brooder is clean and warm. I am just perplexed. What could I be missing?
Anytime. That's good she's eating and everything, but i would start corrid asap.

Back
Top Bottom