Need advice for my sick chicken.

Leggsandeggs

In the Brooder
Sep 5, 2022
I thought she had sour crop. I can feel the protrusion and it is soft and squishy but there is no smell. I tried the "throw up" method gently, but nothing happened. I put her in the "hospital" and after 24 hours gave her apple cider vinegar water and plain greek yogurt. When I went to check on her she has eaten some yogurt but when she took a step on the side where the protrusion is she made a sound like she was in pain. I gently massage the spot to hopefully aid in her recovery. Am I doing the right thing? I researched a lot on this page and its the only thing I can think of. She pooped but it was all water.

Do you have any advice?

Read this to bring you up to speed on crop issues and treatment for each type. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Now, you are going to have to pretend we here in internet land don't know a single thing about your chicken. Such as her age, or if she's currently laying eggs, or if she's had egg quality issues lately. Oh, wait. We don't. So, no need to pretend.

The more you can tell us about your hen, the quicker we will be able to put two and two together and come up with a possible cause of her problem. Tell us how she is behaving, and when you first noticed this.

Be aware that a crop issue often has another more serious underlying cause, such as egg binding or worms. Weather extremes can also have an effect on health, so telling us where in the world you are can help.

She is laying but not currently since she has been ill which has been about 3 days. She is just over a year old. I first noticed she would just stand in the run and close her eyes. Sometimes she would just lay in the middle of the run. I live in Central Minnesota. The weather has been 80's-90's. Usually they all stay in a covered, shaded area with plenty of water.

It could be she's struggling with a stuck egg or is internally laying. I would give a calcium supplement in case she has a stubborn egg hung up. It will stimulate contractions to help move the obstruction. This is what I recommend.
P1010010.jpeg
One tablet immediately directly into her beak. Don't put it off as this can result in death. Be sure she stays hydrated and calm.

If she's laying internally, she's doomed. No treatment for that unless you want to spend a small fortune on surgery.

It could be she's struggling with a stuck egg or is internally laying. I would give a calcium supplement in case she has a stubborn egg hung up. It will stimulate contractions to help move the obstruction. This is what I recommend. View attachment 3616153One tablet immediately directly into her beak. Don't put it off as this can result in death. Be sure she stays hydrated and calm.

If she's laying internally, she's doomed. No treatment for that unless you want to spend a small fortune on surgery.
I forgot to ask how often do you give your chickens this? Just when they are sick or on your healthy ones too?

Back
Top Bottom