Need advice for single hen

lilakc

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2015
Hi all....I could use some advice. I have a young hen that I have had to keep separated from the flock for several months now. She had been severely injured in an attack by older chickens, pecked almost to death in the head. I did not think she would live, but she has and is now recovered. However, she lost significant skin and feathers on her head, as well as one eye. When I have tried to restore her to the flock, supervised of course, the other hens immediately peck her in the head, drawing blood. So she is in her own coop now, with a small run, within the larger run and in sight of the other chickens. I need advice on how to either get her back in general population, or get a companion for her. I thought about a rabbit. I am also worried about her getting too cold this winter by herself. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Well, you don't have to worry about her getting cold. As long as she has a well-ventilated coop that protects her from wind (and predators) she will be fine.

It sounds like the other hens are not going to accept her. The missing eye puts her at a disadvantage. Chickens can be really quite savage sometimes.

As far as a companion: Rabbits are nocturnal, chickens are awake during the day, so I would not suggest a rabbit. What about a couple of young chicks? If they grow up with her, they will probably accept her and be fine with her. Or perhaps another barnyard bird - maybe a duck? It would need to be a female duck.

I sure wish you the best of luck with her. It sounds like your nursing was nothing short of amazing, if you pulled her through that many injuries. And, welcome to BYC! :frow

Hi all....I could use some advice. I have a young hen that I have had to keep separated from the flock for several months now. She had been severely injured in an attack by older chickens, pecked almost to death in the head. I did not think she would live, but she has and is now recovered. However, she lost significant skin and feathers on her head, as well as one eye. When I have tried to restore her to the flock, supervised of course, the other hens immediately peck her in the head, drawing blood. So she is in her own coop now, with a small run, within the larger run and in sight of the other chickens. I need advice on how to either get her back in general population, or get a companion for her. I thought about a rabbit. I am also worried about her getting too cold this winter by herself. Any suggestions are appreciated.
I'd leave her where she is for now.......sounds like a good setup to begin reintegration. She won't be cold on her own if her coop is dry and protected from weather but with decent ventilation.
Getting her back into the flock may not be a speedy process, you'll have to be patient.
Pics of this setup as well as knowing your location would help us give you more specific advice.

Last edited:
Thanks, y'all! Awesome advice from everyone. Especially bully jail (LOL).

Her initial injuries were committed by older chickens, who are separated from the younger flock now. But it is the younger flock who peck her when I try to reintegrate them. I think the mirror idea is pretty neat - I'm going to try that. And adding a younger bird might work. I feel better about the cold weather issue - she is in a nice coop with good ventilation. I think I could add some wind protection in the run, which is where she likes to roost. I'm not sure that the other flocks will ever accept her because she is so scarred and the missing eye is a real problem. I never thought she would live after her horrific injuries, but she did it and deserves the best chance at life possible. Thank y'all again!

Back
Top Bottom