1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need advice from anyone who has bought and used the DIY water well drilling setup that uses an air c

Discussion in 'DIY / Self Sufficiency' started by refamat, Oct 17, 2013.

1. refamat

refamat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    Blaine, WA
    How did you do? does it drill good? Did you buy the kit new from the DIY Well Drilling site (http://howtodrillawell.com/).
    Was it worth it? How much does the compressor cost to rent?

2. yogifink

yogifink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2013
    Pinebluff, nc
    My Coop
    I did some research on this a while back and plan to put a well in on our property. I really liked the idea of the homemade water system, and it seems pretty simple to do a DIY version of one. LOTS of information on this on youtube. I don't see why you would rent a compressor, most small rentals are $25-50/day, and it will take you more than a day to drill. For a few extra bucks I would just buy the compressor and then keep it or resell it. I think you would also want to pick up a mud pump to pull crud up from the bottom that is too heavy for the air to push. I would also think, you might run into some difficulty with this method if you have rocky soil?

When I go down this road, I will probably go with a hand auger. The water table in our area is only about 20' down. Here is a good link for some more informantion. http://www.drillyourownwell.com/auger-drilling.htm

3. refamat

Feb 16, 2012
    Blaine, WA
    Hand augering is ok, had a friend who grew up in Cuba, he and two brothers hand augered down to almost 3oo ft when they were young men. Even in soft soil that would be rough. Shallow wells are ok, but unless you get some volume you can run them dry easily. That's what I want to do is deepen a unused well on my property to increase storage (the previous owner said it went muddy which means the sand pack failed (poor design, I used to install monitoring wells for contamination, not much different from water wells but don't have any equipment myself).
    You can hydrodrill down to 40 feet or so easy enough, would be easier than augering.

4. newbie32

newbie32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2013
    Low Desert, CA
    I would love to learn how to dig a stable well by hand. Someday life in the U.S will change, maybe not in my lifetime but just in case.....

5. refamat

Feb 16, 2012
    Blaine, WA
    there are many ways to put a well in, hand digging one is hard an dangerous. Hand augering is also possible but finding the equipment could be a challenge. The best DIY options are the deep rock home well rig which run S10-12k, the DIY kit from the website I posted for under $600 but lacks the compressor which from what I've read will need to be 5.5 hp to supply the needed 16 CFM at 90+ PSI. or to use hydro point rig you can see on youtube which is depth limited.
    I had a friend who is a professional driller in Kentucky who said he put in monitoring wells with one of the rented Little Beaver post hole drillers you can rent. You can also ine Simco Earthprobe and Geodrill rigs which have a hydraulic motors and augers to drill wells with that can go to 100 ft or more. I used to operate both types for soil sampling of contaminated soils (but that's a different process).

6. newbie32

newbie32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2013
    Low Desert, CA
    hmmm I was wanting to dig a well as soon as the MIL gives up the land. I don't want a compressor run well. I want one that fully operates by hand or by a windmill or both. Basically an old fashioned one that wont be an issue if electricity goes out for extended amount of time.

7. refamat

Feb 16, 2012
    Blaine, WA
    wind power is good sometimes in SoCal..when the Santa Annas blow, it would devastate your structures I'm thinking. I remember seeing many uprooted trees when I was a child in the San Fernando valley. Drilling there can be a challenge though. Your looking at a variety of soil and rock types there and aquifers can be at any depth. I know there were artesian springs east of Saugus so it is possible to find good water sometimes. Having said that though, the well that supplied Honby (where we also lived) went bad in the mid 60's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by