Need advice from experienced hatchers please!

TeamChaos

Songster
10 Years
Nov 8, 2009
We ended up taking in 34 eggs from a guinea nest and putting them in the incubator. I candled them as I put them in and separated them based on visible development- I think we ended up w/ two clutches of eggs, one that had been sat on for about a week and another that was fresh and not incubated at all.

I know that we need to remove the egg turner 3 days before our group is due to hatch and, obviously, we're in for a staggered hatch w/ things the way they are now.

Is there any way to be successful in this hatch for both sets of eggs?

Thanks!

One way to work around this problem is to hand-turn the eggs. Take the automatic turner out, or disconnect it, and instead turn the eggs by hand 3-5 times a day. Just don't turn the eggs that are farther along in development, or due to hatch soon. This might decrease the hatch rate a bit because the temperature will fluctuate a little more, but I think that you'll be fine.

just let it happen and don't worry I have a broody on day 21 and I've got peeping and wriggling eggs so just let nature take it's cause some will make hopefully all but some might not hatch it's the way of life

Everyone's hatch is different, but as far as turning goes I have heard most important before day 11, I went on a vacation when my eggs were on day 15,in homemade hatcher, and came back on day 23 they had hatched, helped themselves to food, and water I left for them to find and everything was fine. Here is my latest home hatcher, a wooden box found on a burn pile.

Back
Top Bottom