Need advice from you...

runsw/scissors

Songster
8 Years
My formerly head rooster got his little self de-throned last night.
barnie.gif
He is beat up pretty badly. Currently he is in a separate cage with a heat lamp as well as food and water. I added electrolytes to his water.

His injuries are mainly about his face. His eye lids had been stuck closed, from dried blood. Also his comb was torn up and when I dipped his beak into the water quite a bit of blood came out of his beak.

Any idea what his odds are? Currently he shows no interest in food or water, he sits and shivers under the heat lamp. He is probably still in shock. I'd like to save him if I can as he is a fabulous addition to my flock, he is just a perfect little guy both with people and the hens.

Poor guy. It does sound like he is in shock, but i think you are doing the right things by keeping him warm.

I had a hen who went into shock after a hawk attack and she was just laying on her side. I was sure that she was going to die but the next day she was sitting up and we started dripping water down the side of her beak with a syringe to keep her hydrated. Their digestive system shuts down when they are in shock. You could add a pinch of sugar to the water along with the electrolytes to start with. If he doesn't start eating in a couple of days then you will want to consider adding some nutrients to the water. My hen was nursed back to health, and she taught me that chickens can heal quite well from serious injuries. I hope your rooster improves.

I've had chicken survive getting there face ripped open by coons so I'd say yours has an even chance. But he might go blind and his personality personality will probably be different. If you could do anything elits to keep him warm and fealing safe it might help.

Thanks so much! He is looking a little better, standing up at least, although he develops quite a list to the port side if he gets startled. Poor guy!

He still keeps his eyes closed, don't know what that's about.

As much as I love my chickens there are days when I just want to punt them straight into the next time zone! Must they behave like the dinosaurs they are?!

I know, there is no reasoning with these roosters.

I've had a couple of upstart roosters who had swollen and scabby looking eyes for a few days. I tried giving one of them a spritz with a sterile saline solution from my medicine cabinet. He wasn't too thrilled with that.

I have had another chicken who had an abrasion of the eye with swelling and put neosporin without the pain relief in his eye after I read about it. I did it twice a day for a few days and it cleared up.

Back
Top Bottom