Need advice introducing new pullet to the mix

Jacktastic7

Chirping
12 Years
Oct 13, 2009
Redmond, WA
One of my four chickens (my favorite of course!) turned out to be a cockerel. Luckily the farmer I purchased my chickens from is happy to swap him for one of his sisters, same age same Brahma/Aruacana mix.

I'm looking for some advice on introducing the new pullet to the other 3. They're all relatively the same age, 4-5 months old. The other three have been together for a few months and get along fine. My chicken yard is 20x30' with a 6x8' henhouse/run where I keep them at night.

Any experienced advice would be helpful!

take one away from the flock of 3.. put them 2 together for a week or two and then add the two and two to come up with a pen of four.... anything else is a bad beating for the new gal...Oh and make sure the "new gal" has been in the new territory first before introducing one of the three from the established flock

Not sure how I can pull off keeping them seperated that long with only one hen house for safekeeping at night. Any other suggestions?!

Last edited:
I have an established flock. I just finished quarrantine with 2 new 4 month old pullets. Last night I waited until everyone had roosted, after dark, took the two newbies out, put them up on the roosts between two of my friendliest, fluffiest hens...and today everyone is perfectly happy.

I felt confident that my well handled hens were in good health and clean as well as the new hen. She came from a friend that I bought my 2 of my birds from so I didn't think I needed to quarantine anyone.

As far as the introduction for the new hen, who ended up being a gorgeous Heritage Chantecler, I got very lucky. I put her in the hen house/coop for a few hours by herself. Once it was dark I put the established 3 in the hen house with her. The next morning everything was fine. She even laid an egg on her first full day and every day since. Easiest transition ever!

42869_img_3820b.jpg

Thank you for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom