1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need advice on a terrible drake

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Henny Penny04, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Henny Penny04

Henny Penny04 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2011
    Hello,
    I recently lost my runner drake to a hawk. He was a ham, and a joy to have around. However, that now leaves our pekin/runner drake alone. He has always been a pest, but now that he's alone with only the chickens, he's unbearable. He attacks our dog, stalks our windows, and is brutal with my husband and I. Although he allows the children to carry him all over the yard and love on him, I think it's only a matter of time before he turns on them as well.

So, here's the deal. He bites my ankles, hard, and chases the dog away from me. He doesn't give up. I can't walk, since hes' underfoot, and have resorted to just carrying him along when I'm in the yard. We often hold him down, and hold his head to the ground for a few minutes until he gives up, trying to assert dominance. After doing this several times, he usually walks away. Until, the next time. It's really out of control. There were a lot of jokes about his ankle fetish at first. It's just not funny anymore.

Do you think there's anything that can be done? I've had ducks for some years, and have not experience this before. Do we just cull him? And, I have to admit, while we do this with chickens, I really don't know the best way to do this with a duck? Thoughts on that would help, too.

I do appreciate your help. [​IMG]

2. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    I would cull him and replace him. For one, I wouldn't take a chance on him siring ducklings with that kind of aggressive temperment, especially when so many drakes with good behavior go to freezer camp for lack of demand.
    His issue could be just a flawed personality, or he could have a hormonal imbalance like excess testosterone.

If you've culled chickens before ducks are not much different. I favor the hatchet method because I find it to be the most humane.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I suggest that you get rid of him. Passing him on to someone else is not acceptable, unless you can find someone expert with poultry who will take him.... which is very unlikely since most serious poultry people have bio security issues about bringing in strange birds.

I doubt that there is anything wrong with the duck. You've confused him about his status in the flock so that he doesn't know what he is or how he fits in.

4. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Can you get him 2 or 3 hens for companions? He may possibly turn his attentions to them and be a nice guy to people again.
    Culling him is much more humane than giving him away to an uncertain future. Just a shame though if he is just frustrated and lonely.

5. Henny Penny04

Henny Penny04 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2011
    I could never give this duck to an unsuspecting person. Initially I did place an ad on Craigslist. I realized that was a mistake when I got several strange inquiries about dogs. I suspect a few people thought he might make great sport with their dogs. There's enough bad people in the world. No, this duck is going to have to be put down. I don't want to .

Is there a way to make him understand his status in the flock? He thinks he's a person, or that we are ducks? I'm afraid what he would do to some females if we got a few more. He's far more aggressive than I've ever seen before.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have a 9 month old Muscovy drake who was raised in our home till 3 months of age, he was around our other Muscovies but he really thinks he is one of our dogs since he was raised around them and lived in the house with them, when he was 3 months old we went and got 3 girls so he would have his own and grow up with them, it took him a while to realize they were girls but know believe me he knows the difference and it has left our oldest drake pretty secure with his 5 girls. But Opie can be a real jerk at times, He still comes inside to visit and most of the time behaves pretty good. but every once in a while he starts coming up and biting my ankles and will not relent so I pick him up and put him out side. end of that, but sometimes when I go out side he will do the same thing, what I usually do is use the top of my foot and come up under him and kinda of push him across the yard and if he doesn't get the message I'll pick him up and toss him into the stock tank. I may have to do it numerous times but he finally gets the message. He is treating me like he does his girls, grabbing them and trying to mount them, he thinks I am one of his girls, so I have to reenforce that I am not. He can be a real stinker at times but I will continue to keep him, but I don't have children either and my grandkids will stay away from him if I tell them too or they will learn to. Like Oregon says they are confused, I know it's my fault but I had no choice his mama tried to kill him so I took over for her. I think either you try to get through to him and get him at least 3 more girls to keep him busy or freezer camp. I wish you the best in your decision.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by