Need Advice On Amputation ASAP - Rooster Has Frostbitten Leg - UPDATE: Leg Has Been Amputated Succes

Leo is doing fantastic! He crows first thing in the morning, and is even trying to get friendly with one of the hens he's with!
big_smile.png
so I might get some chicks of his yet! His stump is already half grown over! I would love to let him outside, but for the fact that we have 3 1/2 feet of snow on the ground! ;D
Excellent that he is healthy and has recovered,great job on saving his life!!!

Glad so many people are finding this thread interesting, and as always, thanks for the kind words and support!

Lil' update on Jonsi - his thick scab peeled off yesterday (and he promptly ate it). I think it peeled off a bit too early, as it's still pretty pink and raw, but it looks to be doing fine. There's no bleeding, and the new skin is clean and healthy, so it's close to fully healing.
Leo is doing fantastic! He crows first thing in the morning, and is even trying to get friendly with one of the hens he's with!
big_smile.png
so I might get some chicks of his yet! His stump is already half grown over! I would love to let him outside, but for the fact that we have 3 1/2 feet of snow on the ground! ;D
Absolutely fantastic. I'm SO happy to hear how well he's doing. :)

Jonsi does the same thing with the hens, and I think he must have CTD (compulsive 'tidbitting' disorder) because he does it every single time he's given food, even when no other chickens are around.
lol.png

Last edited:
Stumpdate time!

Jonsi is doing great. The stump is almost healed over. He uses it more and more to get around, and though he's obviously not as mobile as he used to be, he actually gets around quite well by himself. He's going to do great with a prosthetic I think, although it'll probably take some trial-and-error. He spends most of the time outside (it's been really unusually mild here). I'm still getting some footage to edit together of him. I still change his bandage every day, and give him garlic here and there, and some extra food to help with rebuilding the tissue. He's a pro at eating. Thinking of entering him into the National Stuff Your Face Championships this year.

His foot is actually taking more time to heal up than his stump, as it suffered quite a bit of cold damage, but I think it'll be fine. I've had to bandage it up lately, because the scabs were rubbing off and it was bleeding pretty bad. It's a good sign that the toes are bleeding though, as it means there's healthy, alive tissue underneath, but it makes them painful to stand on of course, so that makes it even more essential to bandage them.

I wish I'd gotten some vid of this, but I didn't see it until later: he was on the deck today, and one of the hens, Rose, came up and laid an egg in the little dogs' house, and he presumably stood by the nest, like roosters do, and watched her lay the egg.
lol.png
The other day, he was in the greenhouse with a hen and circled around her several times, then showed her a nest. I was AMAZED at how well he was able to get around to circle around her.

Have some pics:

Looks a little raw, but it's about at the level of a scraped-knee at this point. Not far to go!

Scabby toes...

In his 'eating container'.

His slightly spaced out expression is probably funnier than it should be.

I'm very, very happy with how well Jonsi's situation has been turning out, considering how badly it started. As always, thanks so much for the kind words of support everyone! :)

Last edited:
That's fantastic! Leo is still healing, but getting better! His scab hasn't gone yet because I couldn't get a bandage to stay on, so I let him go without one and he got diotomatious earth under the skin so it was raw for a while. But glad Jonsi is happy and healthy agian!
Also, thanks for the support and advice!

Wow, didn't realize it's been so long since I've updated! Sorry for the February-long silence. Not that much has been going on really...Jonsi's daily schedule pretty much consists of coming inside in the morning and evening to eat and have his bandages changed, then spending the day outside. Sometimes the job he assigns himself for the morning is to watch and guard hens laying eggs in the doghouse on the deck.

Even without a prosthetic (yet), he's very mobile and is actually able to run fast enough to be really hard to catch (which he doesn't try often because he's so tame). His stump still hasn't healed totally...it seems like the skin just wants to grow thicker and thicker, but I'll probably start putting together Pegleg v. 1.0 pretty soon. Need to figure out what materials I'm going to use, especially for the part that his stump will be in. Don't want it to be too hard or uncomfortable. It would probably be good to find some sort of mini-sock thing or something for his stump for now, because he uses his stump to walk most of the time, instead of hopping. Sure wish I had a 3-D printer.

I bandage his toes every day as well, because they were pretty raw, but they're close to being fully healed. His middle toe will probably never be able to bend fully, but that's OK as long as he can walk, and scratch enough to dust-bathe. The claws on those two toes actually fell off a while back, but I'm pretty sure that was just the outer casing.

Anyways, have some pics. Just medical-type updates for now, but I'll get some more...entertaining pics in a bit.

That's fantastic! Leo is still healing, but getting better! His scab hasn't gone yet because I couldn't get a bandage to stay on, so I let him go without one and he got diotomatious earth under the skin so it was raw for a while. But glad Jonsi is happy and healthy agian!
Also, thanks for the support and advice!

That's great to hear. :) Hope by now that he doesn't even need a bandage. Jonsi still does just because his leg is so thick I think, and because he insists on growing more and more skin on the stump, until that's really thick too, which is just fine. :p

Last edited:
Wow, didn't realize it's been so long since I've updated! Sorry for the February-long silence. Not that much has been going on really...Jonsi's daily schedule pretty much consists of coming inside in the morning and evening to eat and have his bandages changed, then spending the day outside. Sometimes the job he assigns himself for the morning is to watch and guard hens laying eggs in the doghouse on the deck. Even without a prosthetic (yet), he's very mobile and is actually able to run fast enough to be really hard to catch (which he doesn't try often because he's so tame). His stump still hasn't healed totally...it seems like the skin just wants to grow thicker and thicker, but I'll probably start putting together Pegleg v. 1.0 pretty soon. Need to figure out what materials I'm going to use, especially for the part that his stump will be in. Don't want it to be too hard or uncomfortable. It would probably be good to find some sort of mini-sock thing or something for his stump for now, because he uses his stump to walk most of the time, instead of hopping. Sure wish I had a 3-D printer. I bandage his toes every day as well, because they were pretty raw, but they're close to being fully healed. His middle toe will probably never be able to bend fully, but that's OK as long as he can walk, and scratch enough to dust-bathe. The claws on those two toes actually fell off a while back, but I'm pretty sure that was just the outer casing. Anyways, have some pics. Just medical-type updates for now, but I'll get some more...entertaining pics in a bit. That's great to hear. :) Hope by now that he doesn't even need a bandage. Jonsi still does just because his leg is so thick I think, and because he insists on growing more and more skin on the stump, until that's really thick too, which is just fine. :p
Go Jonsi! Incredibly happy that the one legged rooster is doing so well! Leo is doing great too! No longer needs a bandage, the scab has come off and the skin is baby-smooth! And the little guy has gained some serious weight! He's going on a diet when the snow goes away! PS, my high school has a 3D printer... (Tech project? I think so!!)

Back
Top Bottom