Need Advice on Broody Hen Sitting on Eggs

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kentuckyrain, Apr 8, 2016.

1. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Spring Dreaming Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You are probably right, I did read that. You are going to have lots of chicks. Sounds like lots of fun.

1 person likes this.
  2. ellefisher

ellefisher Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2016
    Kentucky
    I have a momma game hen sitting on 8 eggs, I heard a peeper around noon today (9hours ago). No chicks I can see...should I go looking under her or should I mind my own business?
    I'm so distressed wondering what's going on. I'll actually cry if one turns out to be not okay ..please help.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    The chicks will start talking to the hen in the egg about a day before they hatch. I have had a look, and I have left them go. It can depend where they are sitting and whether the chicks can get out but not return. There's nothing you can do to help them hatch, they will do fine. Be careful if you do check, because chicks get tucked under the wings and can fall out if you lift the hen.

4. ellefisher

Mar 8, 2016
    Kentucky
    They are in a milk crate on its side, inside a large dog cage, in my spare bedroom. I was worried about them maybe not getting out of the shell. I'm a very nervous and eggcited other momma.

5. bergy

bergy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2013
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG] This is what I do; at 1 week before hatch I move broody with eggs (very carefully) to her own "apartment". Kept in same coop as rest of flock (18 hens). I do nothing but provide fresh food and water (out of reach so she has to get up to get it). After hatch day I check her daily to see who's hatched (just lift her a bit). Then once she starts getting up with her babies, about 3 days after hatch, I open the door and let momma hen bring them out. I've had better luck this way, no other hens pecking new babes. Momma hen did have to slap a few hens away the first outing but then all is well. Now the babes are 3weeks old. I even have another hen who joined in on the parenting a few days ago. The two mamas take care of all the babies. So fun, I love watching mama's!

6. ellefisher

Mar 8, 2016
    Kentucky
    Looking under my broody is no painless adventure because she's wild. She wandered into my yard 8 months ago with 10 chicks. No one claimed her so I've kept her. She's not very friendly but she's a wonderful momma. I have other chickens who Are all very touchable, but have never gone broody in the 3 years I've had them. I would go under her if I head to do it to save a chicks life but to be honest I don't want to as she makes me bleed [​IMG]

7. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I would leave them be. The chicks will get out of their shells. I have never had a broody hatched that hasn't. You can probably start to see them peeking out tomorrow.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  8. ellefisher

Mar 8, 2016
    Kentucky
    Ok. Thanks so much for all your knowledge and advice.

9. ellefisher

Mar 8, 2016
    Kentucky
    Yay. I woke up this morning to 5 beautiful peepers. Thanks ever so much for your advice

1 person likes this.
  10. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Congratulations[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by