Need Advice on Broody Hen Sitting on Eggs

Check her for mites, sometimes they get overwhelmed by them when sitting. I've left many bantam just sitting. That's odd she didn't want her chicks back. That fluffy butt is adorable.

Went to take a peek this morning, new mom is still sitting on em, 3 chicks popped out and look so adorable, mom is raising up and picking or something at an empty shell, I should have grabbed it but I was just watching her through the closed door for a few minutes.

This is my first time watching/experiencing a broody hen become a mom, so exciting to see her with new babies,,

I checked her for mites, nothing. I called the guy i got her from and he said she does that. Thats where he gets all the chicks he has given me this past year, about 30, lol. He said she will do this 3 or 4 times in a row, wont raise her babies, then will stop n go back to laying eggs. ... as for the fluffy butts, ikr i love that picture

Baby chick is stuck to feathers under new mom, and also half an egg shell is stuck on her under feathers, should I use scissors and cut them loose or leave them alone and let new mom figure it out?

Edited to add, just went out there and cut them loose, also found 1 dead chick stuck to her butt :(

Last edited:
Wow, now I am more grateful for having no troubles. I don't usually let mine hatch until June or July, I'm thinking the extra humidity at that time of year keeps the chicks from being sticky. Either way I've learned something new and something thing to watch for, very sorry about your little chick too.

Wow, now I am more grateful for having no troubles. I don't usually let mine hatch until June or July, I'm thinking the extra humidity at that time of year keeps the chicks from being sticky. Either way I've learned something new and something thing to watch for, very sorry about your little chick too.
Yeah, still new to all this. They all look healthy and strong, looks like she only has 1 more egg under her from what I can tell, it has pipped though. My new mom showgirl has a lot of silk feathers under her even though her chest is bare.

I mean, downy like soft feathers,,

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom