Need Advice on Calf with Contracted Tendons

Well I worked on a large Dairy for six years and worked on a farm that raised replacement heifer calves for 2, and now breed Texas Longhorns, and from my experiance giving a bose or muse shot, which is if I can remember correctly b12, and selenium and is available at most farm stores or from the vet. This should be done soon after birth, at least in the first week for the best results. We usually had the most trouble with big bull calves. Looking at the video he looks like a typical contracted tendon, which is actually more common than people think. In alot of cases it can be linked to selenium deficiencies, which is why they recommend the Muse or Bose shots. Occasionally we would splint them, but normally we would provide physical therapy for the calves. The legs need to be stretched several times a day, and try to stretch them a little farther each time until they are able to move normally. the calves do not like this but it seriously does help. I am by no means an expert but this was the recommendation from the farm vet and it usually worked. I don't think LA 200 will help this problem, unless there is an infection. He may have damage if the chains weren't used properly, but most vets I've dealt with are good about that sort of thing. I hope your calf does all right, and has a full recovery!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom