Need advice on concrete floor maintenance

farmgrl7

Chirping
May 3, 2020
Wisconsin
Ok, so I have an older barn, my chickens are in an enclosed section that use to be for calves. It’s sectioned off from the main barn but my issue is, concrete floor. It sweats, I use pine shavings/some straw. And when it gets wet or sweats I clean the coop and sprinkle barn lime.
does anyone else have this type of flooring, what do you use for bedding, cleaning advice. I’m so worried about coccidiosis. 😢

Not in my coop, but garage floor sweats this time of year when warm humid air meets cold concrete.
Can be treacherous footing, but goes away once the floor warms up a bit.
Do you already have coccidiosis?
Not sure a dampish floor will promote it.

I had a really bad outbreak a few years back and I lost all but 10 chickens (I had 40). They started becoming lethargic, pale combs, stopped eating and drinking and I had no clue wth was happening. Then I read The Chicken Chick’s book and just cried! I had 8 ducks at the time and from the sweat, messy area by water dishes and dampness by food, they had gotten sick. It’s the only thing that I could come up with.
I have 1 rubber mat which I used for a young steer I had. I keep seeing posts on Pinterest about deep litter method. Would this benefit me? I use pine shavings and barn lime now

Different situation now, especially sans ducks who's juicy poops can create a cess pit.
I wouldn't sweat it(haha!) too much.

Deep litter is a deep subject(geez there I go again!-sorry).

The condensation on the concrete floor is a temporary springtime situation.
A decent layer(2-3") of shavings might even keep the moist air from touching the cold concrete and condensing.

The barn lime may help absorb what moisture there is and keep the surface inhospitable to any organism growth. I don't know much about lime, except one is caustic when damp and another is not....don't use the caustic one.

Here's some stuff about lime from my notes.
http://www.walterreeves.com/landscaping/lime-different-kinds/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/agricultural-lime-vs-hydrated-lime.1218000/

Hydrated lime, slake lime, or "burn lime"- This is pure white. Hydrated lime is very caustic, so the bag will have a warning on it. This is the kind of lime you use for white wash . This lime will burn you and your livestock. Do not use it on the floor. Do not breath it.
Agricultural lime, "ag lime", "garden lime", "barn lime" or dolomite- This lime is gray and can be used to spread on the floor of your barn. This is safe for you and your livestock. It will not burn.

Attachments

• 20200601_143507.jpg
    20200601_143507.jpg
    471.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200601_143507.jpg
    20200601_143507.jpg
    471.8 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom