Need advice on coop build, plan b

Judy Todd

Chirping
Dec 27, 2017
Yacolt Wa.
But then there's no light when 'window' is closed?
I have a 4 inch opening at the very top, the whole lengh of the coop on the eastern side and a door with window on the western side, besides the window. The door is under a roof, back of barn open to the forest, so plenty of natural light , even with the window closed

jgarner1327

In the Brooder
Mar 3, 2019
Portland, Oregon
Use 1/2" hardware cloth on the window to keep out mice and rats, and I would add a way to close the window in case it gets extremely cold. I put a heat lamp in my coop for really cold nights. Also I bought a shed at Costco and they have carpenters they recommend for assembly, which was completed in four hours! Then I insulated it and put plywood and linoleum on the floor over the OSB. I also used the same 1/2" hardware cloth on the run, very safe.

Cryss

Free Ranging
Nov 12, 2017
Northwest New Jersey
Sounds like you have a good set up. 1/2 inch hardware cloth is the only way to go.
it only took 4 hours? Wow! Do you have a thread showing your build and finished coop? We’d love to see it.
The only thing I don’t care for is the heater. They can start fires, and, if power goes out for whatever reason they are not prepared as nature intended. They aren’t fully feathered when they are exposed to warmth so they suffer and possibly succumb to exposure to sudden cold. If your coop is draft free and well ventilated above their heads they don’t need heat.
Use 1/2" hardware cloth on the window to keep out mice and rats, and I would add a way to close the window in case it gets extremely cold. I put a heat lamp in my coop for really cold nights. Also I bought a shed at Costco and they have carpenters they recommend for assembly, which was completed in four hours! Then I insulated it and put plywood and linoleum on the floor over the OSB. I also used the same 1/2" hardware cloth on the run, very safe.

WGHowell

Chirping
Mar 4, 2017
Middle Georgia
I just finished a new coop for my chickens . I already had an 8'x 8' ft. I just finished another that is 8'x 16'. I spent a little more than I wanted about a grand ,but their worth it.The primary use of my coops are for roosting .Each morning I go out and let them out to free range all day long. They love it. Right now I have 45 chickens . This passed summer I decided to get some bantams. They are a real neat bird to have around.

Chickiechickieboomboom

In the Brooder
Sep 27, 2019
Massachusetts
Thanks everyone for your responses, photos, and ideas!

I'm super overwhelmed right now. I've drafted about 8 different coop designs, with material lists and costs for all of them, ranging from $500 to $1200. I am so overwhelmed and have no idea what the "best" coop for my situation is. I'm starting to reconsider the original resin shed idea, it just seems so much simpler, as long as I can add proper ventilation.

CindyinSD

Free Ranging
Aug 3, 2018
Black Hills, South Dakota, USA
Three things are all you need: shelter from the wind, enough ventilation to keep them dry, enough room for them to have some private space (whether inside or in your sheltered under-deck area.) Oh yes, roosts and a nesting area, both of which can be exceedingly simple. Anything else is extra.

People have been keeping chickens for literally millennia. Most of this time the birds have made do with a little hollow under the front steps and whatever grain they could scavenge plus bugs and weeds. Chickens are tough; Our chickens are super lucky, comparatively speaking; You can do this.

WGHowell

Chirping
Mar 4, 2017
Middle Georgia
My new coop was as simple as it gets .I went to home depot bought 6 wooden fencing panels 2 x 4's , 1 x 4's,a sheet of plywood for nesting boxes, wood & roofing screws and tin for the roofing. I use wood screws for everything when building .Nails just don't do it for me. My first coop has held up well to straight line winds , hurricane force winds and anything else mother nature has thrown at it. I just hope the new one does just as well. I'm getting ready to take back a few supplies I didn't need so I'm looking at about 800 to do the job. The fence panels and roofing tin were my highest priced items ( 550- 575 dollars) and about 250 for everything else .I had some tin and 2 x 4's left over so I'm taking those back today. I'm planning on getting a new wheelbarrow with the extra funds I had left over.

Top Bottom