Need advice on foot injury...

wolfbaine30

Crazy Rooster
11 Years
May 5, 2008
Blue Ridge,Georgia
I have a game hen that has been hopping around on one foot.So I chaught her up and brought her inside and washed her feet off looking for any bad spot or swelling,and the only thing I found is what looks to be a spot on her right foot that looks like its been rubbed raw,right above her back toe.My ? is what can I put on it to make her feel better and how could I bandage it up where it will stay on since all my game birds free roam and roost in the trees near our house.Would it be wise to put her up till she gets better.I just want to help my little girl out.Please help us.

I would clean the area completely with warm water, towel dry it, and lather the sore area with Neosporin. I use Neosporin on all my chickens if there is an injury and have always had great success with it. It relieves the pain as well as disinfects it and hurries up the healing time!!! Good stuff!!! I would also keep her in a small area so she has time to heal and isn't re-injuring herself. You should see significant improvement in the next few days. One thing though--if she is looking better, try to resist the urge to let her back out or with others. I have found it usually takes a good 5-7 days even when they're showing signs of getting better and any time I have rushed it, they end up re-injuring themselves more often than not, so I have to start all back over again. Good luck!!!
smile.png

I use Bag Balm I think it stays on better than Neosporin. I used it for a month on a hen that accidentally had a toe stepped on and broken by my horse. It broke the toe and caused a big hole but it healed over and now she is fine. Just keep the ointment over the wound as best you can. I would probably pen her up a few days before letting her back out with the others to give it a chance to heal.

You could try, but you also might want it to get air as it will heal faster. I think if you just keep the neosporin or whatever you decide to use on it, it will keep it from getting infected and heal faster with air on it. I had a polish chicken have the same issue and that is what I did and within a week, it was fine! Good luck!
wink.png

I would go ahead and wrap it. My dermatologist tells me that wounds heal better and faster when wrapped. Common sense would tell me that wrapping lessens the posibility of being infected.

Back
Top Bottom