**Need Advice on Golden Pheasants!!**

Quote:
hi Tony,
is there your experience? and how about result? all of eggs are fertiled?
and 1 more question: how many eggs does Golden pheasant hen (Yellow and Red) and Lady Amherst hen lay per year? thanks a lot.

If I ever get my bator to run right I could give you results.I thought I had it all set this year because I bought a new Dickey.Then 2 weeks after setting eggs in it I noticed black fungus growing in the back corner,so that was the end of those eggs.But yes a male will breed as many as 10 hens,this also helps him from beating on 1 or 2 if he has that many to breed.
In N.H.,Tony.

I had read somewhere that bantams often foster pheasant eggs so i built a run/flight that is wired in so well we got a wild finch stuck in there and had to open a door to shoo it out.I had been excited to have pheasants with my chickens at a later date but after reading this i am rethinking that for certain. If having them with chickens is bad...is there somewhere to get good info on how much space the pheasants need to be happy in their own spot?( new to BYC so still trying to figure out where to find certain info here :)

Bella Blue and BTrent94, do not put your pheasants in with your ducks, the ducks are nasty animals and could make your pheasants sick, plus the ducks will devour all the food and your pheasants will starve, plus if the pheasants are in flight and happen to land in a pool (if you have one for your ducks) or other deep body of water you have for your ducks they will drown.

Exotic pheasants are not the same as the Ring neck or other wild pheasants, they do fly and if there is an opening they will find it and take off and they do not come back.

To make sure your Golden pheasants or other Exotic pheasants are secure they need a separate shelter and flight pen.

If you do put your Exotic pheasants in with ducks, or chickens, do not expect babies from them. The Exotic babies are more susceptible to diseases brought on from these animals and the chickens and ducks will pick on them. Chickens get blood mites and dust mites, especially in drier climates. These 2 mites will kill baby pheasants (any type) and baby peacocks. If one chicken or ducks get sick you will loss your exotics because they (the exotics) cannot be treated with the same things ducks and chickens can.

Exotic animals need their area kept clean and fresh water daily in hot climates twice a day. They also need access to food, which in with ducks or chickens they would be ran off from.

If you are going to have Exotic pheasants, you truly need to build them a separate shelter, a 10x10 flight pen with a 8x8 shelter was fine for mine and I had 8 Red Golden and Golden pheasants and 4 peacocks and I started with 2 pheasants and 2 peacocks, the others were babies born from my birds, excluding ones I sold.

I read that before..I just have chickens no ducks.. but the info i was wondering about was there the flight sizes.. thanks :) I am in a rather soggy climate in Oregon so not so much with heat here. Luckily no mites on my chickens but if ya can't cohabit the pheasants then ya can't.

Maybe some day when the chickens are gone ( if i ever don't have chickens again!) i will think more of the pretty pheasants!I have a large flight completley sealed for my chickens because neighborhood cats were relentless. Now they are covered from top to bottom w chicken wire and we had no losses thank goodness. ( and boy diatomacious earth has been WONDERFUL for keeping my chickens free of mites and internal parasites! I thoroughly dust the coop in every crevice before and after adding bedding and keep it pretty clean!)

Thanks for the info!:)

BB

Back
Top Bottom