Need advice on Leghorn

I would treat her with calcium citrate in case she needs to pass an egg or lash material. Is her vent pulsating? If she hasn’t laid in a long time (how long?) I would not think she is egg bound, but I would try the calcium anyway.

This is certainly not for everyone, but if she were mine, I’d treat her with a strong antibiotic used for reproductive infections, such as doxycycline or enrofloxacin. If it’s egg yolk peritonitis or salpingitis, it could possibly help. If it’s cancer, having an avian vet guve her a suprelorin implant may buy her some time as it did with my hen.

As was already suggested, draining may provide some relief. I have also had luck with aspirin combined with Lily of the Desert Aloe Detox for ascites and inflammation.

There are lots of things you can try to provide relief. Please understand that if it’s a reproductive disorder, you are likely to lose her at some point and the things you try to help her may bring some comfort, but will probably not cure her.

Is her comb always flopped over that far? I know Leghorns have floppy combs, but hers appears to be laying down.

I would treat her with calcium citrate in case she needs to pass an egg or lash material. Is her vent pulsating? If she hasn’t laid in a long time (how long?) I would not think she is egg bound, but I would try the calcium anyway.

This is certainly not for everyone, but if she were mine, I’d treat her with a strong antibiotic used for reproductive infections, such as doxycycline or enrofloxacin. If it’s egg yolk peritonitis or salpingitis, it could possibly help. If it’s cancer, having an avian vet guve her a suprelorin implant may buy her some time as it did with my hen.

As was already suggested, draining may provide some relief. I have also had luck with aspirin combined with Lily of the Desert Aloe Detox for ascites and inflammation.

There are lots of things you can try to provide relief. Please understand that if it’s a reproductive disorder, you are likely to lose her at some point and the things you try to help her may bring some comfort, but will probably not cure her.

Is her comb always flopped over that far? I know Leghorns have floppy combs, but hers appears to be laying down.
Yes, her comb did flop a lot, but the last few days it was droopier than normal. took her to the vet today and he said she had Egg Yolk Peritonitis. Advised to put her down. So very sad.

Very sorry for your loss. EYP and other reproductive disorders are common in hens over 2-3 years old. When I lose a hen, I usually do a home necropsy to look at the abdominal organs to try and see what might have been going on. It’s good that you had a vet to help you.

Very sorry for your loss. EYP and other reproductive disorders are common in hens over 2-3 years old. When I lose a hen, I usually do a home necropsy to look at the abdominal organs to try and see what might have been going on. It’s good that you had a vet to help you.
Thanks - took a bit to find a vet - glad I found one that isn't too far away. Snow was our best layer 5/6 a week. Sad that this is so common especially since 2-3 years old isn't that old, but maybe in a hen's life it is.

Back
Top Bottom