Need advice on moving a baby chick from one hen to another?

Phantom_k9

Songster
Oct 29, 2019
North Texas
My Coop
My Coop
Hello!
One of our hens has just hatched three baby chicks! However, once we moved her to a different pen, she started to accidentally kick out the rest of her eggs. So, we have now given 5 eggs to a broody silkie we have, and have three in an incubator. We plan to give all the chicks to the main mother if / when they hatch but we have no idea how to do it.
As of writing this, one chick under the silkie has hatched. We would love to give her a chick, but if we do we will never be able to introduce that chick to the rest of the flock (which has been our plan). Its hard to explain why, just know that our silkies will probably never be free ranging. With that in mind, how do I successfully move this one hour old chick to a mother who already has three three day old chicks? Thanks in advance!

Hello!
One of our hens has just hatched three baby chicks! However, once we moved her to a different pen, she started to accidentally kick out the rest of her eggs. So, we have now given 5 eggs to a broody silkie we have, and have three in an incubator. We plan to give all the chicks to the main mother if / when they hatch but we have no idea how to do it.
As of writing this, one chick under the silkie has hatched. We would love to give her a chick, but if we do we will never be able to introduce that chick to the rest of the flock (which has been our plan). Its hard to explain why, just know that our silkies will probably never be free ranging. With that in mind, how do I successfully move this one hour old chick to a mother who already has three three day old chicks? Thanks in advance!
Don't move it! Leave the silkie with the chick, it could get hurt and the foster silkie would be upset if you took it.

Leave it be. When the chicks are weaned, you can introduce them to the rest of the flock. By day 3 of having babies many momma hens aren't receptive to new additions. There are ALWAYS exceptions. But I also wouldn't date remove baby from the now-bonded silkie.

Back
Top Bottom