Need advice on pipped chick

cjschickens

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 23, 2012
It has been 16 hrs. since pip. The chick is still alive and I took tweezers and broke tiny little pieces off the egg. There was no blood, but I stopped because I'm so afraid !!! Should I keep on helping or what ? Anybody ever been where I'm at before ? Thanks for the Advice !!

I think you should just leave it. It might be resting still. I don't really know though. I've only read on hatching chicks.
hmm.png

I'm not gonna lie.....I would prob help it out some. You can crack the shell in a circle around the end it has pip from. In other words help it zip. I've done it many times and never had a problem with it. *** I only do this with the ones that are pip for a long time with no more movement. ****

i would leave it

i myself have had hatches where pip has been the same for 24hour or more then all of a sudden zipping starts

and chick breaks free

just leave it

It has been 16 hrs. since pip. The chick is still alive and I took tweezers and broke tiny little pieces off the egg. There was no blood, but I stopped because I'm so afraid !!! Should I keep on helping or what ? Anybody ever been where I'm at before ? Thanks for the Advice !!

Had this with my last batch..I zipped it..still didn't come out, so my boyfriend totally helped it out of its shell and membrane. But first I wrapped a wet warm wash cloth around it for a while...making sure that its beak was up and not covered! And the chick is 2 weeks old and just fine! He saved her! I was chicken!

Read the Sticky thread on this section. Has a very useful guide on what to do and how to do it. It helped me enormously when I started hatching eggs and saved many chicks from my stupidity.
smile.png

I've helped chicks out of the egg when they were as far along as you described and they are all fine now. Sometimes they get tired and need (and welcome!) a bit of help.

The biggest problem with leaving those who have been pip for many, many hours is you risk them being shrink wrapped inside the egg by the membrane. I know with you humidity correct all should be well, but as many of us do it's just impossible to not open the bator to look them over and remove shells etc. I had one the last batch in my bator that was pip but never zipped. So afrer about 24 hours I helped it. I didnt take it out of the egg, just made some more cracks around the end it were it has pip. Works great. I have also just left them alone and they will most of the time make it out. But I have also had them die in the shell after piping

It hatched !!!! I took some advice from each reply -- after 20 hrs. and still no progress I helped it zip, then I wrapped it in a warm wash cloth, then I walked away. I went to a meeting and told myself not to worry about it ! Came home from the meeting and there the chick was -- hopping around and chirping. It's still doing good this morning. Thanks for all the kind advice
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom