Need Advice on rescued Pekin Ducklings

SteffyK

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 2, 2009
NE Ohio
Hi, an acquaintance of mine got her kids ducklings for Easter. They were Pekins and very healthy and adorable. She called us yesterday and asked if we could take the ducklings now that they are too old to be in the city. Hubby went over and got them, and boy was he upset when he got them home. It seems she was keeping them in canary cages all day and taking them out in the evening for a swim around the bathtub, then right back in. They didnt have enough room to stand up or move around and their belly feathers are filthy from laying in their droppings. One of them has totally lost the use of its right leg from the last joint down to the web. It is all curled and it waddles on its 'thigh' (not sure of correct term). They all are very weak in the legs and kinda just scootch around.

We put them in the young chicken pen for now with a little tykes swimming pool for their enjoyment, bathing, and therapy. As of right now, they have had to 'sessions' in the pool under supervision. (I did remove a barred rock pullet from one of the pool steps where it was 'resting' lol) They do very well in the water using their legs alot and doing all the ducky things they should do.

I have never had ducks, and we would love to rehabilitate them if possible. Does anyone have any other suggestions as to how to help them build up leg strength as well as any calcium building tips? Also, is there anything I should watch out for with the chicks and duckings together (other than possible drownings)?

Thanks In Advance for any wonderful advice.

Gosh, I hate to hear things like this. I also have a friend that got chickens in the same situation. Not walking..got them from a laying factory. those poor girls counld stand either. She told me they eventually did start to get more stregth and could walk. But PLEASE ask a mod or admin to move this to the emergencies. thread...they will help you better and maybe faster.... good luck and Im sorry to hear that

Do you have any idea what she was feeding them? The probably have nutrition deficiencies. From what I understand, that can cause problems with their legs. Hopefully someone with more experience will come along and answer your questions.

Good luck with them and thank you for "rescuing" them and giving them a chance at a good life. Sounds like you will be able to take good care of them. The biggest thing is they need the proper nutrition while they are growing so fast!

Take care,
Kathy

Can you get to Walmart or a drugstore and get some niacin tablets? Ducks need niacin for their bones. 250 mgs to 1 gallon of water for drinking for them. It will help with their bones immensely.

Thank you so much for helping these ducks!!

Laurie

Quote:
I've always had trouble finding pure niacin (do they make just "niacin" tablets?), so I use Brewers Yeast tablets crushed and sprinkled over their food. I also use ground kelp meal as a "condiment" for my ducks, which seemed to help when my 4-year-old Jumbo Pekin started having leg issues.

Hope that helps!

Quote:
I've always had trouble finding pure niacin (do they make just "niacin" tablets?), so I use Brewers Yeast tablets crushed and sprinkled over their food. I also use ground kelp meal as a "condiment" for my ducks, which seemed to help when my 4-year-old Jumbo Pekin started having leg issues.

Hope that helps!

yes they make pure niacin tabs, I don't shop walmart but a drug store should have them over the counter (not prescription) or a health food store. the mixture that TennesseeTruly mentioned is identical to what I have read other places and I have used it myself to prevent problems give them some time they didn't get in that condition over night. Good feed and water sports (takes the weight off the legs) will help them get to their full potential, some effects may remain.~gd

Thank You everyone!

I will head out this morning to find either niacin or brewers yeast and get on hubby to make a separate pen for them.

So far the water therapy has helped. Two of them can get in and out of the pool by themselves already. Their belly feathers are starting to get clean, but I think it may take a while for them to be white again. I also think they are all girls. Their vocals got me out of bed at midnight to check on them. lol

Thanks for your support. It is really nice to know that there are so many helpful people for when something comes up.

Back
Top Bottom