Need advice on roosters

Connor2329

Hatching
Mar 12, 2018
hi everyone. I’m wondering if someone can help me. I currently have a flock of 10 chickens in a enclosure. I have 5 large mixed breed ex battery hens, 2 Pekin bantams and a trio of Japanese bantams one being a male (9 hens and 1 rooster) today I have introduced a large fowl silkie rooster to the flock and already they have started fighting which from what I understand is usual. The reason I bought another rooster was because my Japanese bantam was only mating with the 4 bantams and not the 5 other chickens so I got the large rooster so that it could mate with the large 5 chickens so I was wondering if people have any advice, on whether or not this is ok

Good advice ^^^, Adding a single rooster to an all hen flock is one of the easiest introductions. Adding a rooster to a flock with an established rooster and flock is almost a guarantee for a rooster fight.

They may fight once, or it may be ongoing until one of them dies.

Mixing large fowl and bantams can cause problems too.

Maybe you should just let them settle down and learn to be content with having more than one roo. Ive seen some pretty funny videos where a Serama was fighting a large lavender rooster and the outcome was the big guy ran away with the serama on its heels chasing it around the yard in front of all the hens.

When I bring in a new boy, I place him in a bachelor pad, in the yard where the girls, and boys, can meet him. They are likely to box at the fence, but they cannot really hurt the other. After a week or so I may add or swap the the boys. I do like only one leader in the flock.

When I bring in a new boy, I place him in a bachelor pad, in the yard where the girls, and boys, can meet him. They are likely to box at the fence, but they cannot really hurt the other. After a week or so I may add or swap the the boys. I do like only one leader in the flock.
good advice.

Agreed with above posters that it is not wise to have more than one roo. And even then, I would not keep a roo unless I intend to hatch eggs. I would not want to keep a mixed flock of banties and LF. Some folks do so successfully. My first flock started out with 3 banties. I later added LF, and the banty roo had no problem breeding the large hens.

Back
Top Bottom