Need advice on Sebrights

SebrightMix

Chirping
Oct 22, 2020
Hi I have 2 Golden sebright rooster mixes and got them from tractor supply when they were babies and was really hopping to get them some ladies but I would want pure sebright babies. So would it be ok to keep them with pure sebright ladies and still get pure babies? And if so does anyone know where I can get some ladies near Arlington heights?

Hi I have 2 Golden sebright rooster mixes and got them from tractor supply when they were babies and was really hopping to get them some ladies but I would want pure sebright babies. So would it be ok to keep them with pure sebright ladies and still get pure babies? And if so does anyone know where I can get some ladies near Arlington heights?
If you want pure sebrights and your Roos are only half you will not get pure, so I would not put them in with your girls.

Those people above are correct. However, sometimes people do add crosses in, to increase the hybrid vigor of the flock. Crosses tend to be stronger to a point. Too much mixing and you really start loosing the positive strengths of a pure bred breed. Sometimes in order to get specific trait of a breed, there is too much in line breeding and other less desirable traits show up, that is where another less pure crossing can help.

So if you like your roosters, I would not hesitate to put them on pure bred hens, knowing that some of the eggs you hatch would not be for future breeding, but that is true of any breeding program. In two of three years, buy a good quality rooster, and I think in 5-6 years you would have a very nice flock.

Often times it is hard to give advice on this forum, because set ups are so different, from a mini farm to a true backyard. If you are planning to show, I would not recommend this. There is considerable difference in a private flock for the enjoyment of the owner, and people that sell and show purebred birds.

Personally to keep 2 roosters, I would want between 20-30 hens.

Mrs K

and also would I get a cool mix from breeding them to white leghorn or buff orphintons.
and thanks for the info

Can I just ask what state you live in?

Those people above are correct. However, sometimes people do add crosses in, to increase the hybrid vigor of the flock. Crosses tend to be stronger to a point. Too much mixing and you really start loosing the positive strengths of a pure bred breed. Sometimes in order to get specific trait of a breed, there is too much in line breeding and other less desirable traits show up, that is where another less pure crossing can help.

So if you like your roosters, I would not hesitate to put them on pure bred hens, knowing that some of the eggs you hatch would not be for future breeding, but that is true of any breeding program. In two of three years, buy a good quality rooster, and I think in 5-6 years you would have a very nice flock.

Often times it is hard to give advice on this forum, because set ups are so different, from a mini farm to a true backyard. If you are planning to show, I would not recommend this. There is considerable difference in a private flock for the enjoyment of the owner, and people that sell and show purebred birds.

Personally to keep 2 roosters, I would want between 20-30 hens.

Mrs K
I disagree. If you want purebred offspring, your primary goal would not be hybrid vigor. I would get purebred males if I wanted purebred chicks. Hybrid vigor dies after one generation and can bring a variety of odd traits into future generations.
and also would I get a cool mix from breeding them to white leghorn or buff orphintons.
and thanks for the info
Yes. What are they crossed with? With the Leghorn you will get paint (with a little bit of leakage) and with the Orpington you will get mostly buff birds with a little black lacing.

I’d recommend Jim Landon. He’s in Auburn, Indiana. I don’t know how to contact him though because he doesn’t advertise. At this point, I’m grasping at straws. Ronald Yount in New Paris, Ohio. [email protected]
I’m afraid most Sebright breeders seem to be either in Texas, the West Coast, or Georgia for some reason. Not really in Illinois at all.

Back
Top Bottom