Need advice on transporting chickens

NewToFarming

Songster
9 Years
Apr 28, 2010
Millersburg, PA
I will be doing a move soon that will be 13+ hours and I want to take my flock along. I am looking for suggestions on how to transport that will be best for my chickens.
I will be using carriers and crates and will it be best to leave alot of space per chicken or making sure they are in there with only enough space to lay and move a bit. Like say a carrier can hold 3 chickens comfortably with some room but only putting 2 in would be alot more room for them. I was thinking less space for the trip they wouldn't fall around as much if brakes needed to be applied quickly or going around turns. I don't mean overpacking either that they are on top of each other. But just enough space to allow some wiggle room to turn and stretch etc.

Also, what type of bedding do you suggest for the trip that would be less mess and help with odor.

My last question I think for now is, where to transport them. I was thinking in the van would be best but is there enough ventilation for them in something like a uhaul truck??? I wouldn't think so but I was thinking I might be able to make the crates more stationary in there so as not to slide around??

Any other ideas would be appreciated!!!!

It sounds like you are making the right decisions. I wouldn't want to injure them in transit so I think putting 3 together instead of 2 is a good idea. And I would put them where they would have the best ventilation and less chance of being moved or slid around. Just make sure you stop to feed and water them. Check on them every chance you get. That's a long trip but they're tough. They can handle it as long as they don't overheat or get hurt.
I would probably recommend using hay for the bedding. IMO

I think the UHaul would be fine - I wouldn't worry too much about ventilation over the course of one day - a human could ride around back there safely (although I'm sure not according to the UHaul dealership...lol), so the chickens should do fine. And it'll be dark back there, which is good, because it'll help keep them calmer. I would stick whatever bedding is cheapest or easiest for you to access. Again, it's just for a day, and it's going to get crapped up either way you go. Are you going to stick food/water in the crates, or just do a feed break or two along the way?? If you're sticking food/water in the crate, then pack the amount of birds that can easily access the food and water. If you have the crates secured well so they don't slide around, then between that and the bedding, I don't think you'll have to worry about them being tosses about.
Good luck on your move!!

On a long trip:

1. The day of feed early and mix in a little water into the feed.
2. A shot of Vit B complex (.2 cc per lg fowl: NOTE THE DECIMAL)
3. A shot of Duramycin (.5 cc per lg fowl: NOTE THE DECIMAL)
You can either give this in the breast or by mouth: whichever is easiest for you. These are both for stress.
4. Packing the birds tight (if it is not hot) is the best way to go. The less room the better.
5. The back of the truck in pet carriers allows for ventilation without being beat to death by the wind (which you don't want).

Hope this helps.

And if you're crossing state lines find out what they require from you relating to the chickens. I was talking to a man movin from Georgia to Colorado and the fee for bringing in chickens, and quarantine fee was more than the cost of the hens. He was getting rid of um. But could just PMS and go on. By the way, PMS is pack, move, and smile.

Great thank you!!! I was worried about the uhaul not having enough ventilation and it would be good because it would be dark and keep them calmer for the trip and I could like maybe bungee the crates down so they don't slide around. This makes me happier because it would have been a circus to transport the chickens and the dogs in the van and I am sure the dogs would stress out the chickens!!!
I was planning to put like fruits and veggies in the crates with them instead of water in case it would spill. It wouldn't be comfortable for them if they had to lay in wet bedding most of the trip.

LOL...I like the idea of PMS!!!

My chickens do get the chicken feed mixed with water daily and vitamin supplements already. This started when one of my girls was found to be blind and they all now expect it each and every morning!!!
roll.png
So maybe some antibiotics in addition for the trip.

I am planning on making the trip at night so when they all go into the coop for bed, I will be packing them up to go so they will be normally sleeping during much of the trip and it will be cooler for them too. Also, if I try to pack them up during the day I would never be able to catch my leghorn girls!!! LOL

[[[.....a human could ride around back there safely ....]]]]

Except for, of course, all the humans that die in the back of rental trucks every year. It wasn't such a safe trip for them. Unless the weather is going to be cold, it gets very hot in the back of one of those enclosed trucks. They are metal with no insulation. The sun turns them into rolling ovens.

It's not your truck. You don't know if the exhaust will leak into the cargo area.

If you are not an extraordinarily good packer, there is danger of your load shifting and falling on, or crushing your cages.

At least if the birds are in cages, they aren't going to escape and run away if you open the door at rest stops, like some people lose their dogs and cats that have been put loose into a cargo truck.

LOL...dang it! Yeah I said I was taking a uhaul truck. Sorry for the confusion! So then that is a no for putting them in the back of a uhaul? I forgot uhaul does rent pickups too! LOL

Back
Top Bottom