need advice on using a covering for plywood floor of coop

How easy is it to apply the roof coating and what did you use to apply it? I like to "wash" the coop out in the spring (it gets smelly from mostly being indoors over winter). Have you "washed" yours and how well did it clean up?
My coop is small (8x8) and the walls, window sills, and nesting boxes get poop on them. Could I put this roof coating on everything? What is the cost and how much area will it cover?
Sorry for all the questions, however, my coop really needs something done for cleanliness.
Thanks for your help

How easy is it to apply the roof coating and what did you use to apply it? I like to "wash" the coop out in the spring (it gets smelly from mostly being indoors over winter). Have you "washed" yours and how well did it clean up?
My coop is small (8x8) and the walls, window sills, and nesting boxes get poop on them. Could I put this roof coating on everything? What is the cost and how much area will it cover?
Sorry for all the questions, however, my coop really needs something done for cleanliness.
Thanks for your help

I used a product from Lowes, Blackjack#57. It came in a 4.75 gal bucket, cost something like $46. I've had it down in my coop going on 5yrs, and it looks like it did when I first poured it in there. To apply, Stir well, then just dumped a big dollop out on the floor, and pushed/applied it with a paint roller. I put down one heavy coat. It totally sealed all the floor joints, and the joint/gap, where the walls meet the floor. I would not use it on the walls, it would probably just run down into a big pile on the floor before it dried. And it would look crappy, IMHO. Much better on the floor, under shavings. I painted the walls and ceiling of my coop with regular latex paint(Also from Lowes, Porch&deck paint) I've never washed out my coop. I shovel everything out, and if I feel like it, I'll sweep it out with a broom. I could use a hose in there, but I would have to install some kind of floor drain, to get rid of the water. I put the roofcoat down when my coop was newly built, on fresh, clean wood. I would think you would really have to scrub down your coop's floor, before you put down the roofcoat. I don't think it would have to be perfectly spotless, because the rubbercoat would cover and encapsulate a lot of stuff. But I would give it a good scrubbing for adhesion.

JackE,

I did consider the floor coating you mentioned when I built my coop.

I did have one concern though, How long did it take for this coating to dry?

Its meant to be a roof coating and in normal use would be exposed to direct sunlight and dry pretty quick. How long did this Blackjack take to dry until you couldn't smell the petroleum component anymore?

Alex

Brahma ma ma,

I used the same thing, Black Jack Rubr- Coat #57 on JackE's recommendation. I couldn't be happier with it, and it performs just as JackE says.

Dries to the touch in about an hour or two.....can walk on it within 24 hours....I think even sooner.

Here's a link to the product at Lowes:http://www.lowes.com/pd_70989-29-6080-9-30_0__

It sells for $44 for 5 gallons. They also make a 1 gallon size (depending on how much floor you have to cover), but my Lowes did not carry it.

Last edited:
JackE, thanks so much for all the info on the roof coating material and the link. I can see how it wouldn't be good to put on the walls due to dripping. I may try it on the floor this spring when I can keep the chickens outside. I'll need to clean before I can apply the roof coating. I wish I would have known to do this right away when the coop was delivered. Better late than never!

My Coop is a salvaged 4x8 metal shed.
My floor are planks with a layer of tin for rodent proofing. On top of the tin I have a piece of vinyl flooring cut one foot longer than the length and width of my coop (roughly). Six inches squares are cut out of the 4 corners of the vinyl flooring. This allows the friction fitted flooring to travel up the walls six inches around the perimeter of the metal coop. Shovel out the heavy stuff into a wheel barrow. Pop out the vinyl flooring hose it off pop it back in.
Easy Peasy!

I just ended up using a piece of sheet vinyl left over from when we put our new floor in our camper. This is the first year using it.
I stapled it onto the floor. I use pine shavings to layer bedding. So far so good. This Spring I will clean out the coop, wash the floor and walls
and may try to put a simple wax on it. I notice the chicken poo doesn't stick to new vinyl,...yet.

Jack thanks so much for the BlackJack #57 idea! My lawnman is working on building me a 4'x8' chicken coop now out of plywood, he will use marine grade plywood for the floor.

I will be doing the finishing touches and this roofing material sounds perfect.

Question, the coop floor will be 4x8 as mentioned, will one gallon cover it? I found it on amazon but it doesn't seem to specify how much a gallon covers (funny note, the one reviewer on Amazon gave this 5 stars and said she used it for their chicken coop!)

Last edited:
Just came across this thread. I'll be renovating a small building and laying new plywood floor. A question for Jack: Did you prime the floor before applying the Blackjack, or just put it on the bare wood? Thanks

Question, the coop floor will be 4x8 as mentioned, will one gallon cover it? I found it on amazon but it doesn't seem to specify how much a gallon covers (funny note, the one reviewer on Amazon gave this 5 stars and said she used it for their chicken coop!)

Update -- Yuppers a gallon covers a 4 x 8 floor just fine with a little extra. Just put it on the floor this morning. I am excited my coop is almost done!

Also a tip, if you buy yours in a store make sure to have the paint dept. guys mix it for you. Mine was ordered online and it took a fair amount of effort to stir it up. I tried to use a paint stick and it snapped on the first stir, ended up using a couple of pieces of rebar to stir it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom