Need Advice on Ventilation and Dust

The garage does have a ridge vent, although the ceiling is drywalled. There is a hole in the drywall in the center of the garage that opens to the "attic" of the garage. We could put some vents in the ceiling...I hadn't thought of that before.

We have plans for a 10 x 12 foot run and we'll cut out a chicken door in the garage wall. And the garage is actually very large. The coop is about 9 x 13 and takes up much less than 1/4 of the garage. (There is also a wood-burning furnace/heater in the garage, so I'm not incredibly worried about extreme cold as we could heat it up for them.)

My new plan is to attach some fabric to the window and door in order to let through some air, but keep the dust in.

The garage does have a ridge vent, although the ceiling is drywalled. There is a hole in the drywall in the center of the garage that opens to the "attic" of the garage. We could put some vents in the ceiling...I hadn't thought of that before.

We have plans for a 10 x 12 foot run and we'll cut out a chicken door in the garage wall. And the garage is actually very large. The coop is about 9 x 13 and takes up much less than 1/4 of the garage. (There is also a wood-burning furnace/heater in the garage, so I'm not incredibly worried about extreme cold as we could heat it up for them.)

My new plan is to attach some fabric to the window and door in order to let through some air, but keep the dust in.
Read up on ventilation....good article linked in my signature below.
Humidity and ammonia laden air are the culprits to avoid.

BUT if you're going to heat the building then all aspects change.

Most folks here do not have or use a heat source, even in very cold climates, it's just too expensive.
There's not much info on this forum about keeping chickens in an air tight, HVAC'd building.
Not sure how you'd maintain heating, ventilation (and dust) in your situation...
.....it could actually be a fire hazard(dust combined with heating and/or electrical elements have been the cause of many a coop fire)

I have massive ventilation, keep most poops cleaned up from the coop, heat a nipple water jug in the winter to keep it liquid...I still see some frostbite but no respiratory issues.

If I read this thread correctly then I think some folks may be missing some of the OP's points.

I read that there will be one maybe two windows to the OUTSIDE to be installed by a contractor.

I read that there is the option of venting high up on the wall. (Not sure if it would open into the garage or the outdoors)

I think a lot of emphasis is being put on the fresh air aspect, as it should be. I do also think that the OP is trying to accomplish the fresh air part of chicken keeping.

What do folks think of suggesting that the OP have the windows put up very high to the outside walls and using them for ventilation in the winter as well as the summer?

Now as to heating the coop.... I would advise against it. I know you are in a cold climate yet chickens do come with a down coat.

Personal experience with heat and cold here.... I had a hen molting in NOVEMBER with an overnight low of -16. I put a sealed oil heater in the coop to take the chill off a bit. They all avoided the heat source like it was the plague. Yes even the naked leghorn. I did however have the first ever case of frostbite on a hen during this time. A different leghorn lost the tips of her comb.

Heating is just not worth the risk. Now you may be thinking "but it is a wood stove". Ok what if the flue gets blocked or fails and the space fills with smoke?

Sorry, but I wouldn't be to impressed installing the chicken house inside the garage. Looks like a lots of problems, plus extra expense, making it work the way you're hoping for. Personally I would opt for something attached to the outside of the garage, or a something detached. Good luck whatever you decide.... Jim

Sorry, but I wouldn't be to impressed installing the chicken house inside the garage. Looks like a lots of problems, plus extra expense, making it work the way you're hoping for. Personally I would opt for something attached to the outside of the garage, or a something detached. Good luck whatever you decide.... Jim

Good advice. I do think the OP was doing this since the garage is not needed as a garage but is a sturdy building. If it were me I would let them have the whole thing.

I agree too. A shed attached to one wall outside will be better, unless the coop is walled off from the rest of the interior, or the whole building becomes chicken space. And never would I want to light a wood fire in there! Mary

Back
Top Bottom