Need advice on weird neighbors

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by fishfarmer, Jun 21, 2010.

1. fishfarmer

fishfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2010
    Twin Cities
    Okay, so I have this house for rent. It is not in the prettiest neighborhood, but the tenant is really nice. The neighbor across the street really freaks her out. He would go over to my house for rent, stomp on the newly planted grass, mess up blocks I set up on the ground, and stray the tenant car with water from across the street (this is what the tenant told me). He would also go over to my house and cut down shrubs that were growing near the street in the back alley and just leave it in the alley way. He claimed it blocked his view of the road when he's driving. What I don't get is that he lives across the street, and he doesn't share the same back alley as mine...how would the shrubs be blocking his view of the street? Well, one day when I was mowing the lawn for the tenant, he came over and asked me to tell the landlord to tell the tenant to maintain the property like his (green grass because it's water everyday and trimmed every 3-4 days). He also asked me to thank him for cutting the shrubs. I told him I was the landlord and that he doesn't have permission to enter my property and cut down the shrubs. Even if he did, I told him if he doesn't clean up afterward, I would call the cops. He went on and on and on....I just told to get off my land and _____ off. That was about 2 days ago at around noon. At around midnight that day, he call the police and said I threaten to kill his wife and him at his own house and that I was trespassing (NOT TRUE)! The police showed up and harass my tenant. Now she thinking of moving because she keeps getting harassed by this same police guy and the neighbor. The same police have been called several time (littering for the shrubs in the back alley and not cutting the grass) and the tenant has received a ticket for littering. There must be some sort of relationship between the neighbor and cop. What can I do about this? I don't want this to become worst, the tenant just wants to be left alone.

2. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    contact the police department. make your own report and tell them about his criminal trespass, harassment and vandalism.

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    What Boyd said. File a complaint.

4. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    And have your tenant take photos if she sees him on your property (if she can), cutting your shrubs, etc. You know.......proof that it is him trespassing.

If your tenant feels that uneasy about the guy, she should file a complaint as well.

5. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    I think SHE should walk up to him the next time he's on her/your property, make the biggest fist she can, hit him square in the nose and knock him on his butt. Get in his face and tell him if he does't mind his own business he'll be sued for harrasment.
    THEN SHE needs to call the police and claim HE tried to hit HER first, she was just faster.

Seriously though, this guy sounds like a retiree who has nothing better to do than watch and complain about neighbors.
    I had to travel out of town a couple years ago for work. Company put us up in condo's that ALL the neighbors were of the same mentality. Spied on each other continuously and couldn't wait to tattle on each other. They're bored, retired too young/early, ran out of money to travel so now they have to stay home and ........................................................... Thats the problem, there is no and. So they want everyone else to be as miserable as they are.

Another reason for living in the sticks. When I get that way..............there won't be any neighbors close enough to spy on. So I'll have to pull weeds or something......constructive.

6. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    To begin with, does the neighbors complaints have any merit?
    Most of the thread seems to be more along the lines of the tenate said
    the neighbor did this or that...

You had bushes near the back alley? Were they actually large enough to
    possibly obstruct a drivers view of the road in any manner? If they could
    be a hazard, then YOU should of cut them. I'll agree that the neighbor should
    not cut anything on your property.

As a land owner it is my responsibility to keep my property in a safe manner.
    We will assume that your place is as nice as most other homes on the block?
    Is the yard maintained at a reasonable height? It is clean, free of debree?

That being said, some neighbors are just plain pains in the butt. Beyond asking
    one time, and one time only, for this person to stay off of your property, post no
    trespassing signs, try a restaining order, and then sue him.

Do not waste your time talking with the man. Do not threaten him, neither shall he
    threaten you or your tenate. Do file a formal police complaint, have a handy copy in
    your file, do take pictures yourself, also have your tenate take pictures. All pictures
    shall be date and time stamped.

In other words...Do not give the neighbor just cause to complain. But neither shall
    you have to take undue crap.

7. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    pictures
    pictures
    pictures...

or better yet

VIDEO !

[​IMG]

if you cant prove it, it never happened!

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:He is asking YOUR tenant to pay HIM rent??? Boy is that odd.

Not sure how this could block vision of the street? Cities usually have ordinances that govern foliage obstructing the view of traffic--make sure yours meets the code. Call whoever is in charge of streets and ask what the rules are, and where you can find them so that you can be sure your landscaping is in compliance.

I do agree that you need to call the police and file a complaint about the neighbor's harrassing behavior and vandalism. Tell your tenant to call the police if the neighbor ever comes on the property again, especially if he is toting landscaping tools.

I have a neighbor who is quite a bit "off." In a lot of ways, your neighbor sounds like mine. He dislikes most women, so if he doesn't like something DH tells him, he will come and scream at me about it. Thankfully he lives with his very nice parents, who have some amount of control over him (not enough, though); unfortunately, I worry that some day he will not have them to give him boundaries. He has yelled at me about a long-term landscaping goal that DH told him about, he has told our landscapers what and how to work on my yard, he has yelled at me about trash my dh threw out, about my son, about ... Mostly we ignore him or talk to his parents. I did tell another neighbor who he freaked out by looking in windows to call the police if he ever did it again.

9. JetBlack

JetBlack Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    I'd make sure there is no merit to his claims, then get a camera system. When that catches the weird activity, I'd take it to the courts and get a nice, fat restraining order.

But I like to push people over the edge.

10. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:I love our game camera! It takes a picture when it senses movement day or night, set it up discreetly and you'll have irrefuteable proof of his misdeeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by