Need advice, one chicken not growing

Nyxchick

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 7, 2014
I have 3 silkies. One adult we found in the neighborhood park in May. Enjoy her so much decided to get her some flock mates. Purchased 2 young silkie hens, was told they were 8 and 10 months old. The smallest of the two hasn't grown a bit since we got her beginning of June.
She is active, eats and drinks, always scratching around the yard. She seems healthy. I've checked for mites and lice and don't see any.

Any advice? Is this normal? Maybe she's a runt? Right now she's about 1/2 the size of the biggest chicken.
This is our first time having chickens so I don't have any experience with growth rates.

I thought Silkies were bantams? The biggest one, in my avatar, is mostly feathers. She doesn't weigh much. The little one, I'd be surprised if she weighs much over one pound.

I had thought these two would fill out and be as pretty as the 1st one but doesn't look like that's going to happen.

Would it help if I could get a picture of the 3 together? Not sure how to get them to cooperate for that but will give it a try.

In the states they're all considered bantams but in other parts of the world there are two classes...the standard and the bantam. Their weights can range from 4 pounds to as little as 18oz. That's a significant range in size. You may want to have a vet check her over to be sure she's truly healthy and that her small size isn't because of an underlying issue.

Back
Top Bottom