Need advice. Pekin duck not able to stand.

Schitzkin

Hatching
Sep 26, 2015
St. Louis
Yesterday I notice my 11 month old Pekin not wanting to walk, and laying down after a few steps. Had nothing but clear watery dropping. I immediately took her to the avian vet since this was first time I have had a sick duck. The vet was not helpful, had no advice for me, and told me to take her home and watch her. Did a stool sample which was negative for parasites. I have been giving her probiotic and electrolytes. She will eat a little food, but still gobbles down lettuce and peas. When I help her to stand she is wobbly, flails her wings and drops back into sitting position. She seems to "tuck her tail" when trying to stand. Have put her in the warm bath, and she used her legs fine. Does not prune after though. No egg for several days, nothing is stuck from what I can tell. Her droppings are now green, but of course what I have been feeding her is green.

I have read through other threads, and hoping I'm doing everything I can.

I have 2 other ducks, and they are both fine. The one that is sick, is my largest. I was thinking it was possibly a niacin issue.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Yesterday I notice my 11 month old Pekin not wanting to walk, and laying down after a few steps. Had nothing but clear watery dropping. I immediately took her to the avian vet since this was first time I have had a sick duck. The vet was not helpful, had no advice for me, and told me to take her home and watch her. Did a stool sample which was negative for parasites. I have been giving her probiotic and electrolytes. She will eat a little food, but still gobbles down lettuce and peas. When I help her to stand she is wobbly, flails her wings and drops back into sitting position. She seems to "tuck her tail" when trying to stand. Have put her in the warm bath, and she used her legs fine. Does not prune after though. No egg for several days, nothing is stuck from what I can tell. Her droppings are now green, but of course what I have been feeding her is green.

I have read through other threads, and hoping I'm doing everything I can.

I have 2 other ducks, and they are both fine. The one that is sick, is my largest. I was thinking it was possibly a niacin issue.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
@Schitzkin Welcome to BYC!

What are you feeding your ducks? is she over weight? Look at her vent is it normal looking you may have to look at the others to tell for sure. Is she pumping her tail at all like she maybe trying to lay? Keep up the Probiotic and Electrolytes and maybe add a B complex to this make sure it has 125 mgs of niacin in it. Does she has Oyster shell out to use when she needs it? Keep her quiet and let her rest while keeping an eye on her. No heat or swelling in her legs at all?

Feeding them Nutrena chicken pellets. I add oyster shell to it, as they wont eat it on their own. They get treats of peas , corn, lettuce, and banana regularly. She weighs 8.8 lbs, at the vet yesterday. Her vent is wet, reddened, and does look slightly swollen. I was assuming it was all from "diarrhea". I lubricated and digitally checked vent yesterday, felt normal from what I could tell. May try checking it again just in case. Her legs look totally normal. Even when sitting she keeps her tail down, not so much pumping it, almost like its her vent that is sore and bothering her. I guess, clenching?

She is in my bathroom, and did try to walk on her own a little bit this morning. She keeps wanting to crawl in my lap!
1f641.png
Will grab the b complex today and try that.

Thanks!

Feeding them Nutrena chicken pellets. I add oyster shell to it, as they wont eat it on their own. They get treats of peas , corn, lettuce, and banana regularly. She weighs 8.8 lbs, at the vet yesterday. Her vent is wet, reddened, and does look slightly swollen. I was assuming it was all from "diarrhea". I lubricated and digitally checked vent yesterday, felt normal from what I could tell. May try checking it again just in case. Her legs look totally normal. Even when sitting she keeps her tail down, not so much pumping it, almost like its her vent that is sore and bothering her. I guess, clenching?

She is in my bathroom, and did try to walk on her own a little bit this morning. She keeps wanting to crawl in my lap!
1f641.png
Will grab the b complex today and try that.

Thanks!
I'd also try getting either some calcium citrate or Calcium Gluconate and if she like Peas mix some in them and mash up for her to eat, if she does have an egg stuck the extra calcium will help. I believe it's 250 megs of Calcium citrate. Let her soak in warm tub of water for as long as she will that will help her relax Bless her heart wanting to crawl in your lap must mean she wants comfort from you. Sometimes you can feel the egg yet. Please keep us updated. Sounds more like it maybe an egg problem that a leg issue. But having the B complex will be one more thing in you med kit that is always handy to have.

Had her in the bath for about an hour, and she was visibly pushing at times, so now thinking it's an egg issue. She's exhausted, so have her resting. Wouldn't eat the peas with calcium in it, but was able to find a poultry supplement that had both niacin and calcium, that I can add to her water. Appetite is poor, would only eat a few bites of banana, her favorite. She's refusing peas all together now, since I tried tricking her! Been spraying some vitracyn on vent and surrounding areas to try to keep clean/comfort.

Really hoping I see some more improvement tomorrow.

Had her in the bath for about an hour, and she was visibly pushing at times, so now thinking it's an egg issue. She's exhausted, so have her resting. Wouldn't eat the peas with calcium in it, but was able to find a poultry supplement that had both niacin and calcium, that I can add to her water. Appetite is poor, would only eat a few bites of banana, her favorite. She's refusing peas all together now, since I tried tricking her! Been spraying some vitracyn on vent and surrounding areas to try to keep clean/comfort.

Really hoping I see some more improvement tomorrow.
Another thing you can do is put her in the bath room and turn on the hot water so the humidity goes way up and another is wrapping a thick towel over a heating pad on low and letting her sit on it. All these things I read in raising chickens for Dummies But egg bound is same for all poultry.. Lets see if we can get @Amiga to give ideas she just had one go through this. Keep putting her in the warm tub as often as you can.

Hi,

Yes, Sechs was eggbound. Talking with the vet, she feels that a key part of treatment is anti-inflammatories. Inflamed egg-laying systems tend to make the eggs get stuck. Of course, she said the best is to get to a vet so that the duck can be put on Metacam, an anti-inflammatory.

But something we did was -not- rush her into surgery. She was not prolapsed, just stuck. So, we put her on Metacam, Bactrim antibiotic, gave her calcium injection and a hormone to keep her from laying. She felt a little better after that. She passed the yolk the next day. About five or six days later, she passed the eggshell and was her old self again. I kept her on the Metacam for a full 8 days, and the Bactrim for 14 days. I also added some crushed calcium citrate to her treats for a few days.

If you cannot get a vet's help, then I feel the closest thing is start giving her turmeric as well as calcium. Turmeric is anti-inflammatory and I asked about it, and was told that turmeric is not toxic to ducks. Let her swim in lukewarm water, to help her relax. You may want to consider syringe-feeding her to get calcium and turmeric into her. And you need to be careful because the duck's esophagus (the tube to the stomach - I think that's the correct word) is on the right side of the back of their bill - the airway is toward the center - so you don't want to shove anything into the duck's lungs....

And to prevent more eggs from forming, keep her in a dark place. Three years ago Sechs had a prolapse and after surgery I kept her in a large dog crate with a blanket over it.

Unfortunately, She did not make it through the night. I woke up at 330, she was moving around a lot. I gave her a drink and some pets. By 530, she was gone.

I want to thank all of your for your help. I at least was able to make her somewhat more comfortable.

Going to find a new vet.
1f621.png

Unfortunately, She did not make it through the night. I woke up at 330, she was moving around a lot. I gave her a drink and some pets. By 530, she was gone.

I want to thank all of your for your help. I at least was able to make her somewhat more comfortable.

Going to find a new vet.
1f621.png
I am so sorry you lost her. They tend to show serious symptoms sometimes too late.Just wish the vet had picked up on it. I think she knew you were trying all you could to help her.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom