Need advice please someone

peter 73

In the Brooder
May 9, 2017
Hi, i have a chicken egg pipped day 24 it is now at the end of day 25, the chick has partially zipped humidity is at 70percent and heat is at 38 degrees Celsius, do i try to assist or should i allow nature to take its course? This is my first time hatching chickens.

allow nature to take its course, I breed pekins and I was in a similar situation and helped it out and it died within a few seconds so honestly I have had them take 48 hours from pipping to hatch you should be ok be patient if its 3 days and its still not out then help but it has to alwya be a very last resort as it will most likely die if helped. I mean sometimes they survive but the odds are against it. Good Luck with it all

Thankyou very much for your advice. Its reassuring to hear somebody elses perspective.

Hi, i have a chicken egg pipped day 24 it is now at the end of day 25, the chick has partially zipped humidity is at 70percent and heat is at 38 degrees Celsius, do i try to assist or should i allow nature to take its course? This is my first time hatching chickens.

A late hatcher like this is probably quite weak, and doesn't have a promising outcome. However, I believe in giving chicks a chance. I never let a zipping chick stall for more than a half hour before I finish zipping for it. It can be something as simple as dried membrane hindering the progress. If this was on ontime hatcher, I would say, assist that bugger out. Because it's so delayed, I say, it depends on what you can handle. I personally would still have to help, but I'd have low expectations, not because of assisting. I have a very successful rate of assistance that has turned out beautiful healthy chicks, but because of the delay of the hatchling.
The reason a chick needs assisting will play a big role in it's chances of survival along with knowing what you are doing and when to do it.

Progress from pip to zip (for chickens) can take a good 24 hours BUT once a chick starts zipping it should not take an hour. Seldom will a chick stall during zipping for that long without there being a problem.

If someone is waiting 3 days before assisting, then I expect a very weak chick that probably won't make it. After three days of struggling the poor things are probably dehydrated and weak.

24 hours. 24 hours after a pip is when I start an assist and only progress as much as the veining allows. I have never lost an assist after helping. The only assist I've had that hasn't grown into a healthy adult bird was a nn that died 9 days after hatch of digestive problems. But, like I said, there's a difference between helping on time hatchers and hatchers that are 3 or more days late.

And :welcome

Back
Top Bottom