Need advice: Rain getting INSIDE the coop

I am nee to raising chickens as well. And have had quite a bit of rain here in missouri the past couple weeks. And i was really trying to keep my girls dry. And trying to keep it on the cheap side as i dont have a lot of money to spend on a nice setup and have built everything ourselves. I found if you put river rock or peat rock ( $2.98 at home depot for 1/2 cubic sq foot bag) and then put play sand on top ( also around $3 for a 1/2 cubic sq foot bag). I made sure each layer was about a inch thick. Just make sure to put around the outside perimeter of your run as well. :) hope this helps

I am a new chicken owner (Yay! and so glad that I am! I'm already loving it) and my six golden comets are five weeks old today. They are so stinkin' cute!

Just yesterday we finished the coop construction with a tarp-covered-roof. This is a repurposed wrought iron gazebo we built a wood frame around and it has a cement patio flooring. So Day 2 of roof being on, it's pouring out, and I'm seeing quite a LOT of rain falling/splashing inside the coop. I was going to put a few inches of sand on top of the cement, but now I'm worried even that won't stay dry enough with the tarp dumping water at the perimeter of the coop.

Just wondering if I should figure out some type of awning (it would need to be cheap and DIY) or a different kind of floor covering. Maybe plastic sheeting on the sides?

I plan on letting my chicks venture out of the hen house this week, and being that the forecast is calling for rain most ALL week, I need to figure out something so it won't be so damp in there for my girls.

Any ideas?
Check out this idea Bee had on her A frame coop. Thought this was pretty cool! https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/811243/pix-of-my-chicken-house-and-their-run/40

Back
Top Bottom