Need advice regarding my roosters

Keggen

Songster
7 Years
May 24, 2012
Minnesota
We have 25 chickens, 2 of which we know are roosters and 3 we are unsure about. The 2 we know are Blue Splash Marans that came from a hatchery order that was a straight run of 3 hens and the 2 roos.

From the beginning we had a favorite of the bunch, we named him Turkey because he looks like one. Turkey was held a lot by my kids, but the other rooster was mostly left alone. His name is George. Both are beautiful birds. George started crowing about 2 months ago after a few instances of confrontation with Turkey. Apparently George took over as the dominant one. Everything was ok but within the past couple weeks George has started showing aggression. The first 2 times were to my 4 year old but based on her description I wasn't sure what was happening. She said George kept running into her legs, but since it wasn't a painful thing I didn't know it to be aggression at first. Then about 2 days ago he really jumped at her and scared her more than anything, but I decided right then that she would no longer be allowed to go into the chicken yard. I was trying to decide if I should re-home him (with full disclosure) or cook him up. My kids were bummed so I held off. Today my 12 year old said he did the same thing to her. She tried to show dominance in return but I have no desire to go through "being boss" with him for each of my kids.

So he has to go, it is just a matter of a few days while I make my decision on how it is going to happen.

Then tonight my other rooster Turkey was injured, and I strongly suspect it was from George. I have Turkey in the house and am figuring out how to help him. But I am curious, if I get rid of George as the dominant rooster will it have a negative effect on the hens? They do not like to let Turkey mate them and will peck at him if he tries. They clearly prefer George. Will they be more accepting if George is gone?

Also wondering if Turkey will start crowing if George is gone? Turkey does not crow and both of them are about 5+ months old.

And what about Turkey's personality once George is gone... will it change to become aggressive, too? With him being the only other known rooster he would by default be the dominant one and I wonder if he will still be gentle and let us pick him up or not.

Lastly, I need advice and moral support on getting George into a soup pot. I am pretty sure this is not the forum where people discuss that, but is there a place here on BYC that talks about this at all? If not can you please recommend a website where I can ask questions about the process and get tips, etc?

Thanks for any help!

Turkey will take over for George. I had a little silkie who was not dominant and once I sold the other chicken, he became in charge. Turkey will probably start to crow too.

I think the personality changing depends. Once I lost a rooster and the second in command rooster became very aggressive but then I sold an aggressive one one time and the other stayed just like he was. It really depends on the bird. But if he hasn't showed any signs of aggression then he probably won't be mean.

Yep! There is a section of the fourm titled meat birds, or something. You'll see it! You can ask any questions there!

And I'm from MN too, so hi! :p

Well, 'George' has a good name, but if he were mine he would be GONE. Kids come first.

"Turkey" will man up in George's absence and become more assertive with the hens.

"Turkey" will start crowing in 'George's' absence. The dominant rooster actually causes a reduction of testosterone in the subordinates.

"Turkey" may or may not become human aggressive once the dominant rooster is gone - only time can answer that question.

Good luck.

Sourland George

Thank you both for the responses! I am bummed about George but I knew something like this was a possibility when we decided to raise chickens, so I have to follow through somehow.

In my experience, the more handling and tame I have had my roosters be, the more aggressive they have become. In the case of roosters, a little fear of humans translates to healthy respect.
I know you can't tell cockerel from pullet for most breeds when they are young, so I am just writing that as an observation I have made to tuck away.

I woke up this morning to a rooster crowing in my bathroom! That was quite unexpected. He hadn't crowed at all before this but he has been crowing for a few hours now! There is no way I could put the two roosters back in the same chicken yard and coop now, is there?

If Turkey was already injured once by George then I wouldn't put him back, you're risking a second incident.

Personally I like I eat roosters who are aggressive, kind of like "payback" for the scratches and buises on my legs from them! But also because you're passing the problem onto someone else. Unless they are fully aware of his temperment and wish to buy him anyways.

Last edited:
I would guess that George will just get worse as he gets older. As you said before, full disclosure or eat him...unless you want to wait until he actually draws some blood beforehand......turkey will probably continue to have the same personality and respect for the kids who have been handling him all along...maybe they like him better because he is smarter. Any rooster that attacks people without cause does not get to procreate in my yard.

Back
Top Bottom