Need advice rooster conturnix quails

JesusisGod

Songster
Aug 1, 2021
So I've been buying different lots of eggs online and sourcing around locally different bloodlines.

I have 13 hens
5 roosters now

10 baby quails and lots of eggs in incubator......

I need advise never killed a quail for food before. Don't think ready too atm.

Can i make a bachelor pen for the boys i get here on out? And the roosters i have now. Today we picked up someone retiring from breeding selling quails and got their stock..they are big conturnix quails 4 girls 2 roosters..when she picked rooster up it was very angry. These birds are 8 months. My oldest birds are 10 weeks old.
I don't even know how to integrate them or if i can put all the roosters away from the hens in a bachelor pad

Will the new 8month old roosters attack the hens. Youngest ones is 6.5 weeks just started laying eggs

They all live in cages. I free range them together in a 6 metre walk in run every second day.
Haven't tried with new quails. I think the roosters will be very aggressive toward them all idk

Advice new to quails thanks

I can put a bachelor pad in another property far away..will the boys fight though the old with young. Can it work?

Nabiki

Quail Geek
Premium Feather Member
May 15, 2019
Sonoma County, CA
You might be able to do a bachelor pen with the roosters if they can't see or hear the hens. This depends on the personalities of the birds involved and the time of year. In the fall/winter you have a better chance of them not killing each other, but if you get any aggressive ones, it's going to get bloody.

Two years ago, I didn't think I could do the deed either. I psyched myself up for 2 months before the first time, and while I still don't like doing it, I can. Here are a couple of links that might help you.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-to-process-your-quail-including-gory-pictures.75834/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nabiki/albums/72157720057185326

FloorCandy

Crowing
Apr 15, 2020
I keep a bachelor pen, and some get along and some don’t. I do have to cull trouble makers. Keeping a male pen will not solve your problems with not feeling able to cull, some will need culling. I keep a male pen so I can maintain extra Roos in case of predator strike, and to keep the past generation of my projects in case I need to back up a step.

Your older males will probably attack each other and the youngsters, if you try to combine them. most of my males in the male pen were added a few at a time with just a few weeks age between, they get used to the shuffle, 8 month old males may be too set in their ways for this. The new older hens may also attack the younger males and the younger hens.

when combining groups I normally spray all birds with vinegar water, I spray the pen and hides as well, then I change the spray setting to sniper haha, and I watch for trouble, anyone who aggresses gets squirted, you may have to watch for a couple hours and once settled, you still may need to offer a few reminders every few hours.

IMO your best course of action is to sell the males. I take mine to a poultry auction, and I usually get $3-4 each, which I think is pretty good for males.

CovidtimeQuail

Highly quailified
Premium Feather Member
Nov 28, 2020
Honolulu, HI
If you keep breeding, you have to learn to dispatch. I struggle with this all the time. I know that if I want to continue raising quail, I have to be the one to cull those whose time has come for one reason or the other.

It never gets easier. You can probably keep a small bachelor pad and rotate your stock as @FloorCandy does, but eventually the numbers will catch up to you.

Top Bottom