Need advice safely transporting my girls to our new home

Flight time from Hawaii to west coast is 5-5.5 hours. We would not use commercial as they do not have climate control.
Hoping to get them on a livestock plane.
Some good ideas and advice here from people who have done this or something similar but the obvious people to answer many of these detail questions are the people managing the livestock plane.

Flight time may be 5.5 hours but what time is drop-off and how soon can you pick them up. To me that is the critical time. Whatever it is they will probably be fine without food or water for that time span unless it is ridiculous. They sleep overnight without food and water. In locations far north or south that can easily be over 16 hours.

My concern/question is how well would they travel, and is it less stressful to take them as far east as I can with a couple of plane changes, or one plane change, land in or just past the west coast and drive them?
I assume it would be a commercial flight, not a livestock flight. If a livestock flight were available I'd go that route without hesitation, though considering cost. Commercial flights have rules. For example, they are not allowed to transport dry ice in the hold with animals. Dry ice gives off CO2 which could suffocate the animal if it builds up.

Again chat with the specific airline you would use to get the details but I'd think your chickens could handle either one better than you probably will. It sounds like you are a worrier. They will get over it quickly.

HPAI: highly pathogenic avian influenza, it's been here for two years, and with millions of poultry and many wild birds and some wild mammals dead. Now it's also involving dairy herds, at least the cattle are only mildly sick, and a very few people, also not dying.
Look at the CDC's website at least, it's a big deal on the mainland, and might affect your travel plans once here.
Mary
Thank you Mary. The islands don’t have these diseases, and not even rabies, so I appreciate the information.

Some good ideas and advice here from people who have done this or something similar but the obvious people to answer many of these detail questions are the people managing the livestock plane.

Flight time may be 5.5 hours but what time is drop-off and how soon can you pick them up. To me that is the critical time. Whatever it is they will probably be fine without food or water for that time span unless it is ridiculous. They sleep overnight without food and water. In locations far north or south that can easily be over 16 hours.

I assume it would be a commercial flight, not a livestock flight. If a livestock flight were available I'd go that route without hesitation, though considering cost. Commercial flights have rules. For example, they are not allowed to transport dry ice in the hold with animals. Dry ice gives off CO2 which could suffocate the animal if it builds up.

Again chat with the specific airline you would use to get the details but I'd think your chickens could handle either one better than you probably will. It sounds like you are a worrier. They will get over it quickly.
Lol. Yes, I am a worrier. My husband has a traumatic brain injury and I have recovered from a stroke, and our animals are a big part of our lives. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your advice.
Today I have found a contact out of Honolulu a friend of ours has used to transport his chickens all the way to Guam, no incidences. And they throw fruit in their carriers often to ensure they have food and some fluids from the fruit. It is sounding like if livestock cargo is too expensive, then this is the optionI just get them all the way to Knoxville. and I will check on their time from landing to pick up procedure. I think you’ve helped me make that decision to chat with him a bit more and use him since he has a proven transport record. Thank you so so much! Grateful

Last edited:
Aloha! We are moving from Maui to south east/mainland. I have 15 chickens I am taking with us. Well, and a 16 cat rescue and four working dogs. Lol. It is the chickens I am most concerned about transporting. I am reaching out to see if anyone out there has experience, recommendations on process, livestock flights, etc. we are more than happy to get them to the west coast, and then Drive them the rest of the way if that is better. I have also looked at chicken crates for safe transport…? Any thoughts are so appreciated.
I'm in the same boat. No pun intended. Moving from Maine to Louisiana. I have 42 girls i ain't willing to part with....
I'm looking for this answer too!

I'm in the same boat. No pun intended. Moving from Maine to Louisiana. I have 42 girls i ain't willing to part with....
I'm looking for this answer took hope this
You're going to Knoxville Tennessee?
Hopefully waht ever transport you use will be able to tell you about any import restrictions there are are, but that's another somethign to research.
Yes thank you. I’ve contacted the state as well. A process worth going through…

I should add I'm not flying. Driving a uhaul. Other than the basics, hydrating and feed, any advice?
I think no matter how they are transported, it is stressful. But I am grateful you are driving. I hope this thread helped you too. I am now researching what extra nutrients to give them to boost their immune system and keep their stress level down. And ensuring their new home is completely set up for them when they get there. 42 chickens is a whole lot more than my brood. Lol. I am sending you the best, and please let me know how your trip goes…

I don't think there's anything you can give them to make a minimum of 2 flights - from Hawaii to Cali, and then to Tennessee - safe. It's just too many hours in the air and transfer time. And I don't believe there's any such thing as a non-stop from Hawaii to Tennessee, as a former flight attendant I never heard of the routes working like that. And that's just a minimum of flights, the possibility of more legs, of delays or misrouting is also a concern.
If I had to do it, I'd arrange for downtime in Cali for 2-3 days at least, maybe a week, before moving on to the cross country flight(s).
Driving them would be better because it allows you to feed / water / monitor / and control their temperature.

Temperature is a big killer in shipping live animals. Adult chickens do poorly in the heat if left on trucks / tarmacs / cargo holds / etc.
So for cage concerns, open and airy is better than anything solid like plastic with little vent holes.
When we brought chickens from Louisiana back to Florida in our car, we put them in the trunk but with the backseats folded down and the AC pointing their way. That way any noise or smell was a little further away from us but they were still comfortable. We stopped every 4 hours or so and refilled their spilled dishes and used a kitty litter scoop to remove waste, lol. They all ate and drank well and by the time we made it home and released them they acted like nothing had really happened besides a new environment.

Have you considered not leaving Hawaii? If you have any choice in the matter?

Back
Top Bottom