Need advice. Shed to coop conversion

1: do all chickens roost??
2: if I put roosts at different heights will all the chickens just go to the highest ones?
3: if I have different breeds of chickens do they require different size roosts at different heights?
4: what is the highest you want a roost from the ground?

While some individuals are oddballs, as a rule, chickens roost. Some breeds, such as Silkies, can't fly up to a roost and other breeds, like Brahmas, are too heavy to fly well and need lower roosts so if you have those birds you'll need a ramp up to the roost like the one I have here to let my Brahma reach the roosts and the nest boxes:

1105211416a.jpg

Alternately, you can use a ladder-style roost so that the chickens can hop from rung to rung.

Most chickens will roost as high as they can get but if the top roost is crowded the dominant birds will force the low-status birds off.

As long as the roosts are higher than the nests they can be placed at whatever height is convenient for you. My nests are at my elbow height so I don't have to bend down to collect eggs and my roosts are at my shoulder height so I can pick birds off of them to do exams, etc. conveniently. If you don't have a bad back that's not important. :)

Vents are done.
Here’s what’s left
Floors
Roost’s
Water and feeding system
Doors

After that I think I will have a coop

My favorite for a coop floor is 3/4" horse stall mat that comes in 4x6 and 4x8. They're a little spendy up front but are nearly indestructible- made for 1000lb horses to walk on, pee on and poop on all day.

Roosts - we did roosting tables like another post with 2x4's as the roosts- we did ours with a double bar - makes cleaning so much easier and will keep your floors cleaner. Our roost tables have wheels on all 4 legs for easier cleaning.

Water and feeding - if you're going to add lights to extend your laying season, having feeders and waterers inside the coop is important. Some folks don't put them inside at all - in the summer I don't.

Get your waterer up high- we used 4x4 scraps and put those round pieces over the top to support the weight of the feeder/waterer. Maybe not this size but this is the idea: (https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-in-x-...ERCH=REC-_-searchViewed-_-NA-_-204485287-_-N&)

Doors - adding metal security screen doors for cross ventilation... floor to celing... will add a bunch of ventilation. Very handy.

I have my roosts underway. Was going to do 1 15’ but decided on 2 15’ with a ladder. They a both about 3 1/2 feet of the floor. I’m considering putting up a few lower ones also in the corners for the birds that don’t want to be that high up. Figuring on around 10 chickens total and I want them to have plenty of room.

Now I have a few nesting box questions

1-how many nesting boxes do I want for ten chickens ?
2- how high off the floor should I put them. I know I want them lower then the roost
3- what kind of nesting box is everyone using? I’ve seen a few different choices online.

We’re getting closer. I’ve ordered my door and my brooder is almost finished. I think we will be bird ready soon

I have my roosts underway. Was going to do 1 15’ but decided on 2 15’ with a ladder. They a both about 3 1/2 feet of the floor. I’m considering putting up a few lower ones also in the corners for the birds that don’t want to be that high up. Figuring on around 10 chickens total and I want them to have plenty of room.

Now I have a few nesting box questions

1-how many nesting boxes do I want for ten chickens ?
2- how high off the floor should I put them. I know I want them lower then the roost
3- what kind of nesting box is everyone using? I’ve seen a few different choices online.

We’re getting closer. I’ve ordered my door and my brooder is almost finished. I think we will be bird ready soon

Each bird generally needs about 1 foot of roost space, though making two separate roosts can be helpful for flock dynamics.

Generally, you need one nestbox for every 4 hens so for 10 birds 3 would be enough and 4 would be generous.

Back
Top Bottom