Need advice! Sick chicken

Erika4

Hatching
May 8, 2015
Medina, Ohio
Long time listener, first time caller :)

I'm a new chicken owner; I have 4 leghorns and a white Plymouth Rock. They are almost a year old. They have all been great layers for the 8 months they've been in my care.
About a week ago, i noticed one of them was rather lethargic, she was closing her eyes and standing off to the side of the run while the others pecked at the treats I had thrown down. She also had very bloody/poopy feathers around her vent and underneath. A couple weeks prior to this there were a couple shell-less eggs laid, but that resolved itself after adding oyster shells to their diet. A week after the rubber egg episodes, I found a bloody egg each day for about 3 days. All the hens seemed fine though, until last week when the one was lethargic and bloody.
I have isolated her from the others and have soaked her bottom in a couple of warm baths in the last week. She is eating and drinking. I give her time in the late afternoon to run around the yard. She is not walking funny. I have checked inside, assuming she is egg bound, but I haven't found an egg. I'm certainly no expert at this process, but I honestly didn't feel any egg. I did find what seemed to be very small remnants of eggshell, and removed those. Also found some sort of small fleshy matter that wasn't poop, (reminded me of the insides of a store-bought whole chicken), and removed that as it was not attached to anything. She still has not laid an egg in a week. Could this be because she is sick? Or is isolating her (she's in a large-ish box in my open garage) not letting her get enough daylight to produce an egg? I'm afraid to reintroduce her to the flock yet because then I won't know if she had laid an egg or not, unless I get 5 in one day.

Any advice? She seems fine now, other than not laying an egg for the last week. They usually lay an egg nearly every day.

Thanks so much for your time and patience with a newbie as myself :)

Erika

I think it would be best to post full detail about her at "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread, I wonder if she still has some egg shell, etc. inside and could cause a bad infection.

Please do take drumstick diva's advice and post the issue under emergencies with an update on her current condition and behavior.

IMO you need to keep her confined under observation until you are certain she is ok. The problem you describe sounds dramatic to me. Chickens, like other animals, can hide their illnesses and not look or act as ill as they may be. If you think the emergency has been taken care of, then make sure she is eating, drinking, and strong enough before you start reintroducing her to the flock. Even a short absence will change the flock dynamics and place her in danger if you just put her back in with them.

Welcome to BYC, glad you have joined us, but really sorry your hen is having problems. Hope she has a full recovery.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!

I will move this thread over to the emergency section for you. I sure hope someone can help you there.

Please do take drumstick diva's advice and post the issue under emergencies with an update on her current condition and behavior.

IMO you need to keep her confined under observation until you are certain she is ok.  The problem you describe sounds dramatic to me.  Chickens, like other animals, can hide their illnesses and not look or act as ill as they may be.  If you think the emergency has been taken care of, then make sure she is eating, drinking, and strong enough before you start reintroducing her to the flock.  Even a short absence will change the flock dynamics and place her in danger if you just put her back in with them.

Welcome to BYC, glad you have joined us, but really sorry your hen is having problems.  Hope she has a full recovery.
Thanks so much; she is still confined. I really appreciate your help!

I think it would be best to post full detail about her  at "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures,"  thread,   I wonder if she still has some egg shell, etc. inside and could cause a bad infection.
you're probably right; I'll do some more recon and see if I can get more shell out.

If some of these shards were the cause of the bleeding, she could have an infection. I would get her under some heat. Sick birds get cold and don't heal well. Is her comb pale at all? When was she wormed last? The remnants of what you found in the poop sound like possibly shedding of her oviduct lining or uterine lining. Usually this happens to older birds however. Could be related or maybe not.

What color and consistency is her poop?

If some of these shards were the cause of the bleeding, she could have an infection. I would get her under some heat. Sick birds get cold and don't heal well. Is her comb pale at all? When was she wormed last? The remnants of what you found in the poop sound like possibly shedding of her oviduct lining or uterine lining. Usually this happens to older birds however. Could be related or maybe not. 

What color and consistency is her poop?
Her comb is not pale at all. I am unaware if she has ever been wormed; I can contact the people who sold me the birds and find out. Her poop has been kind of gritty, a lighter brown than normal but definitely not very light colored. It does appear darker and less gritty today. Would a pale comb be obviously pale or is it a subtle change in color. Seems pretty bright to me still.

She is probably too young to be having TOO much trouble with worms and because her comb is not all that pale, her issues right now may not have anything to do with worming. However once you get her through this episode, I would consider worming your flock if you do a lot of free ranging.

Combs pale for a few reasons. Molting or broodiness make them pale. Consuming something really toxic will cause it to pale fast. The comb will pale the worse the bird gets, if it survives long enough for it to GO pale.

She is eating and drinking ok? But lethargic? And you have checked her for egg binding? Feel between her legs on the outside and back toward the vent. This area of her abdomen should not be all squishy, soft and bloated. Feel another bird for comparison. This would indicate possible internal laying or fluid building up in her belly.

If it isn't this, it is possible she does have an infection somewhere. If she is not eating or drinking, she might have coccidiosis, but you say she is. (I am thinking out loud here.) She might also have blood in the stool with cocci. How dark is the poop this morning?

Is she breathing at a normal rate? Watch the others breathe for comparison. Do you hear any clicking over her lungs? (at the back where the neck meets the shoulders)

Are her feet cold compared to the other birds feet?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom