1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need advice - staggered hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ZooMummzy, Dec 29, 2009.

1. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    The eggs I ordered 3 week ago finally showed up in the mail today - lovely postal service [​IMG] The problem is I only have one incubator and I am on day 13 of the second batch of eggs I ordered when the first one didn't show up. Are staggered hatches a good idea or a bad idea? I don't know how viable these eggs are yet but I hate to just toss them and I do have room in the incubator. They are blue/black/splash silkies (24 of them) and I really, really wanted them. I have them settling now while I wait for advice from silkiechicken (it's her incubator and I'm sure she wants it back for her own eggs soon lol) and anyone else who can help me with this. My only broody hen is already sitting on 5 eggs, day 13 as well.

Need help and advice...please.

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

The late eggs are already behind the 8 ball. I would go ahead an set them. Run the incubator as if they were not there till the other eggs hatch then I would drop the humidity back down an see how the late eggs do.

Priority
    1 eggs in the incubator now
    2 late eggs

Who knows they may still hatch

3. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Thank you so much. I appreciate the advice. I am completely new to hatching as it is and to have this happen, lol....just about sent me over the edge this afternoon!

Yeah, I really have no idea if they will hatch or not but who knows. The ones that are in there now came with all loose air sacs even after settling and they are all showing embryos right now. So thank you, I will give it a try [​IMG]

4. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Yep, I agree with rebel - I'm doing the same thing right now - on Sunday I had to set 16 BLRW eggs with my others that are due on Friday, and found out (finally) today that my new bators won't be here until Friday also! [​IMG]

Good luck to you!! [​IMG]

5. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Oh that would be maddening! I have yet to break down and buy a bator...hubby is already rolling his eyes and grumbling about me even hatching eggs with silkiechicken. We told him it was just an experiment to try out her bator but he doesn't seem to be buying it [​IMG] LOL

Good luck to you too! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by