Need Advice/Suggestions

Sassy07

Chirping
Apr 25, 2019
St. Louis, MO
I have 4 Easter Egger hens that are 18 weeks + 1 day today. I got my first egg last Thursday. I found it in the run in the afternoon. I found the next one on Sunday morning in the coop in the middle of the floor and it was completely shell-less. This morning there were 2 eggs that were laid from the roost. The first one broke on impact. The 2nd landed in the first and survived until I went to pick it up and the shell was so thin my finger went through. The first one appeared to have the same type of thin shell. These would have had to happen within a 14 hour period. Do you guys think it was the same chicken? Or another one happened to lay off the same spot on the roost? Also, I have had no interest in the nest boxes since placing them a couple weeks ago with ceramic eggs in them. Should I try changing/moving them or give them more time to figure it out? Thanks

Some more information please. What do you feed, including any treats? It sounds like they aren't getting enough calcium. If you're feeding a layer feed, it has the calcium in it.

If you're feeding an all flock or flock raiser feed, you need to put out a bowl of oyster shell or crushed egg shells to give the laying birds some calcium.

Some more information please. What do you feed, including any treats? It sounds like they aren't getting enough calcium. If you're feeding a layer feed, it has the calcium in it.

If you're feeding an all flock or flock raiser feed, you need to put out a bowl of oyster shell or crushed egg shells to give the laying birds some calcium.

They have been on layer feed for about 2 weeks. They have access to both oyster shell and crushed egg shells. I've been told this is somewhat normal for a new, young layer, I am just trying to figure out now if I have two with the same problem or one trying to work herself out. About 2 hours after my initial post I did notice all the nest boxes had been rooted through. No new eggs, but someone is checking them out. I think I've convinced myself the first one is just really young and will figure it out.

Since you're feeding layer + oyster shells & crushed egg shells available in separate dishes, being "newbies" to laying their system will work itself out.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...from-a-new-layer-should-i-be-worried.1191486/
As for not laying in the nest box, keep the ceramic eggs in there ... Once one laying in the nest the others will follow. Where is your nest box located, suspended off ground? Under roost?

Back
Top Bottom