Need advice

Ryanagon

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 16, 2016
I have never owned chicken or ducks but I plan to get 2 or 3 ducks this spring. I was looking at building an enclosure as similar to this one as I could:
but I guess I am concerned about predators. I have read in other threads on this board how chicken wire doesn't protect the animals, etc. and I'm wondering what people suggest? Is what is linked adequate do you think?

I live in Ontario right on Lake St. Clair and though I don't see them too often, in my years at this house I've seen raccoon, a fox once, a weasel of some kind ran across my yard. Regularly see eagles and hawks as well as a couple neighborhood cats. I don't have a fenced in yard so there's really little deterrent there. My plan would have been to keep them in an enclosure such as the one linked during the day while we were away at work and then let them roam around larger parts of the yard when we are supervising, probably with some kind of low easily moved fence to keep them from wandering too much, etc.

Thanks in advance for your assistance

Looks like a nice set up. I don't think you would have to worry too much about predators unless they are really prevalent in your area. If you are concerned about them you could consider using welded wire instead of chicken wire. In my experience, the only time a predator got through my fence was a dog that chewed through chicken wire and later one that chewed through chain link. If that is a problem you can put a strand of electric fence around the outside of the coop.

Back
Top Bottom