Need advice

reneec1301

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2017
N.Texas
I just got a young rooster to go with my 5 hens. But one of my hens keeps trying to fight with him and I'm afraid he will hurt her. She is my fav hen. He does not bother the other 4

welcome-byc.gif

It sounds like they're working out who's going to be in charge. How old are the hens and rooster?

Greetings from Kansas and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined us! You didn't specify how young the rooster is - the established hens will often boss and bully a young rooster but at some point he ascends to the top of the pecking order. I would not worry too much unless he is still really small or if cannot escape her. Here are some old BYC threads where this is discussed - they may offer some suggestions or a course of action. Hope it works out okay!
smile.png

Why do you want a rooster ?

How did you introduce them? We kept our rooster in a dog kennel for two days with them hens , he too went after one hen only . They sparred for a day it two then it was over...I'd let them work it out unless you see blood , but I got rid of my rooster cause he didn't like me and I don't want my hens harassed all day long.

I Just got him last night, had him in a pen by himself. Today I let hens out first, The hens were over by his pen and he was going crazy so I let him out.. The 4 hens took to him fine, the other Miss Moe seems to hate him. She is the original one left out of the ones I bought as chicks so she has been here a lot longer than other hens.So she is Queen B amongst the other 4 hens

I Just got him last night, had him in a pen by himself. Today I let hens out first, The hens were over by his pen and he was going crazy so I let him out.. The 4 hens took to him fine, the other Miss Moe seems to hate him. She is the original one left out of the ones I bought as chicks so she has been here a lot longer than other hens.So she is Queen B amongst the other 4 hens

Should I separate them again tonight or put him in Mrs Moe's house?

Sometimes a young rooster need an older hen to teach him proper manners. If no one is bleeding or being seriously injured, I would let it be. Young roosters are usually over the top in hormones and tend to abuse hens - until they get a good education from one.

Sometimes a young rooster need an older hen to teach him proper manners.   If no one is bleeding  or being seriously injured, I would let it be.  Young roosters are usually over the top in hormones and tend to abuse hens - until they get a good education from one.

I agree

G’Day from down under reneec1301
frow.gif
Welcome!

Sorry, we are not allowed to have roosters so I have no experience in that department but I see that you are already in good hands, so will just wish you all best.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom