need advice

20190829_151643_HDR_resized (1).jpg 20190829_151653_HDR_resized.jpg i rescued these 4 bantams and 2 easter egg layers they are i think 2 or 3 months old. never raised chickens but couldnt let them be put down. (long mean story) i built these 2 coops or whatever for them. the easter eggers did ot get along with the 4 bantams so. so this was about the best i could am on fixed income so limited resources sending pics with this they are 4x4x6 and 3x3x5

Need some wider shots, showing the whole thing.
Two things right off, chicken wire is not predator proof, neither are the bungie cords.
Do you have other chickens or are these your first?

Oh and...Welcome to BYC! @wesleyzhere
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-8-30_8-45-16.png

What advice do you need? :frow
Hi and thank you so much for answering so quickly. What advice? umm everything?
is the coops big enough? i now understand that using poultry wire was a bad idea. But i have little resources and used what i had and what I could get from friends and nieghbors. the property is fenced. But I am sure that anything can get in. probably biggest threat is coyotes and hawks. the coops have solid roofs and the bottom is enclosed with 1/4 inch hardware cloth. One coop has 1/2 hardware cloth and the other has 1 inch poultry mesh. the weather out here is HOT right now, 95 to 105 in afternoon. rain not a problem maybe 3 times a year and never much at that. I have a fan i tuirn on in the afternoons for them. I was also wondering if a misting thing would be ok? I have some drip irrigation stuff i could convert to misters. The coops or runs i guess they are called are 4x4x6 feet and 3x3x5 feet with the enclose box at the end which are as wide as the run and 24 inches deep and 18 inches high. i drilled a few ventilation holes in the sides up high and am going to cover them with 1/4 inch hardware cloth. also i am feeding them the crumbles the feed store recomended how long do I feed them this? is it hard to get them to start eating grain/ When should i switch? They are really going to be pets. Am not really after the eggs but I know they will lay them. And would never ever consider eating them. Jeez i am running on and on. thank you and any advice would be appreciated Wes SDchickie rescuer

Need some wider shots, showing the whole thing.
Two things right off, chicken wire is not predator proof, neither are the bungie cords.
Do you have other chickens or are these your first?

Oh and...Welcome to BYC! @wesleyzhere
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
View attachment 1892859
  1. Hi and thank you so much for answering so quickly. What advice? umm everything?
    is the coops big enough? i now understand that using poultry wire was a bad idea. But i have little resources and used what i had and what I could get from friends and nieghbors. the property is fenced. But I am sure that anything can get in. probably biggest threat is coyotes and hawks. the coops have solid roofs and the bottom is enclosed with 1/4 inch hardware cloth. One coop has 1/2 hardware cloth and the other has 1 inch poultry mesh. the weather out here is HOT right now, 95 to 105 in afternoon. rain not a problem maybe 3 times a year and never much at that. I have a fan i tuirn on in the afternoons for them. I was also wondering if a misting thing would be ok? I have some drip irrigation stuff i could convert to misters. The coops or runs i guess they are called are 4x4x6 feet and 3x3x5 feet with the enclose box at the end which are as wide as the run and 24 inches deep and 18 inches high. i drilled a few ventilation holes in the sides up high and am going to cover them with 1/4 inch hardware cloth. also i am feeding them the crumbles the feed store recomended how long do I feed them this? is it hard to get them to start eating grain/ When should i switch? They are really going to be pets. Am not really after the eggs but I know they will lay them. And would never ever consider eating them. Jeez i am running on and on. thank you and any advice would be appreciated Wes SDchickie rescuer

2. Edit Delete Report
    + Quote Reply
Show Ignored Content

and no these 4 bantams and 2 easter eggers ? thats what they c alled them any way already have spent many moments laughing at their antics. i have fresh playgrounbd sand from lowes in the bottom. They seem to love it, they roll around in it and scratch at it for an hour. the bantams come when i go to their coop , but the ee ones just give me suspicious looks lol

Welcome! Love the paint colors on your coops!
We'd love to help; questions?
Mary
Hi Thank you for noticing the barn paint scheme. was looking on line at pre fabbed coops and after i recovered from the panic attack at the prices they listed, i saw one with the paint scheme. got the paint real cheap just went looking at home depots and lowes till i found a red paint they mixe3d by mistaske hal gal for 3 bucks

Welcome to Backyard Chickens @wesleyzhere where you have them looks great think you did bang up and the birds you speak of great sizes now possible a 3rd if you do more birds called chicken math

Back
Top Bottom