Need Advice

carolinachic

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 18, 2009
Fayetteville, NC
I bought some hens today that were collectively sitting on about 27 eggs. The owner had no idea on how long they were sitting on them, but was going to throw them away so I took them and burned myself in my car on the way home to try to keep them as warm as possible. When I got home the hens would have nothing to do with them...should I try to incubate them? and if so, how would I even know when to stop turning and increase humidity? Thanks so much!

First, I would definitely candle all of the eggs to see that they are fertile. And you can get an idea of how many days old they are by candling. At around 7 weeks they will have veins, and soon after you should see the embryo bobbing around in there...etc...

This is what you should see by day 7 or a little later:
http://lancaster.unl.edu/4h/Images/Embryology/Photos/CandlingPhotos/CandlingDay7.jpg

If the eggs are showing good signs of being fertile, then yes I would incubate them if possible.
smile.png

Good luck!

Aww I hope by candling them you can get an idea as to how old they are. I'm wondering if you have eggs at all different stages...if she had other hens in there. My hens lay in the same nest box as my broody and if I didn't take the new ones out she would have about 27 too! LOL Good luck!

Thanks so much for the advice...I'm pretty sure they are all different stages, so I'm going to try it out.....I just keep trying to think that they would have been thrown away anyways.

Back
Top Bottom