need advice

bandit1988

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 21, 2010
well im on day 20 of my second batch and i was candling them for the last time i only candle twice abotu 12 days thru and one day b4 hatching and i noticed 2 was piped they shouldnt pip for another 24 hours my last batch didnt hatch untill day 24 im relay confused is it bad that there begining to hatch quite early will they come out deformed?

Why are you opening the incubator on Day 20? You should have had it closed on Day 18 and not opened it until they're hatched out.

In answer to your question, it's not unusual to have pips before Day 21 or after day 21 by a day or two. However, since you should have had the incubator shut and the humidity cranked, those pips are at risk for being shrink wrapped and unable to make progress. The membranes of pipped eggs are capable of drying out in 1-2 minutes of open-incubator humidity levels.

I've had chicks hatch 3-4 days early with no problems. Most likely your temp was running a degree or so high, that's what usually causes early hatches. Make sure your humidity is up--I run around 60-65% at lockdown, but humidity preferences vary greatly so if something else has worked well for you in the past I'd stick with it. The main thing at this point though is to sit on your hands and stay out of the bator!! Happy hatching!
jumpy.gif

8 hatched one died in the shell trying to get out its beak was stickign out so i dunno what happend there but its going very well i think i need to move to first to into the brooder.. what should i do my last bunch i didped there beaks into the water when i got them out but i didnt with one of the chick he drank on his own should i just leave them and hope they drink on there own:?

If I see them drinking I don't worry about it. I think it's more important with shipped chicks because depending on how thier trip went they can show up kind of weak and dehydrated. They don't have much energy at that point and it's important to get them started drinking and eating ASAP. Home hatched chicks don't usually have those kinds of problems and will find the feed/water on their own, I still watch though so I can get any chicks that aren't figuring it out pointed in the right direction.

Sorry about the one you lost in the shell, it's always sad when they get that far and then don't make it.
hugs.gif

heh poor thing i had to turn the temp down 4 degrees in the bator and put on my heater in my room becuase the 20 degree temp change would have killed them even with the bulb its a smallll bulb*

Back
Top Bottom