need advice

Victoria 1880

Chirping
10 Years
Sep 19, 2012
Hi everyone,
I am a new peacock owner and have a lot to learn. My guy is a rescue so I wasn't prepared. We built a coop for him in the garden shed, his run is high and completely closed in (there are a lot of predators around). My first question is: since I haven't had any luck finding a peahen for him, is it possible to get a chicken to keep him company? I don't plan to let them breed!
Thanks in advance!

Hi Victoria

You can put a chicken in there for company, but many keepers of peafowl have them separated to limit disease cross contamination. Chickens can carry disease that peas are more likely to get and be weakened by. That said, many people do still allow them together.

Check the UPA site at www.peafowl.org and you can find a breeder directory that will list breeders in your state and you can see if one is close. You might find your hen this way.

Good luck

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate the advice. I'm not in the U.S. I live in Canada so I will have to look for something closer to home. I was hoping the chicken idea was a good one, but I don't want to risk making him ill.
I am also wondering about the winter. I have read that a peacocks feet will freeze if they get wet. Since we live in a cold climate does that mean he has to be kept inside all winter?

You could put a guinea hen in with him, mine get along good here amd their food requirements are pretty much the same..

I have read though that sometimes they successfully mate and you could get half breeds

Thank you! It looks like I may have to find something besides a peahen. It will cost me about $400 to have one shipped here from Ontario, a little rich for my blood at the moment. Another concern I have is when I find a companion for him how should they be introduced? Is it ok to just put them together or is there risk of injury?

I am also wondering about the winter. I have read that a peacocks feet will freeze if they get wet. Since we live in a cold climate does that mean he has to be kept inside all winter?

One tip I read here somewhere is to use something like a 2" x 4" board for a roost, and have it so the 4" side is facing up for them to sit on. That way when they are roosting their body and feathers cover their toes. Unless they have a high percentage of green they seem to handle the cold fine. I live in North Dakota.

Thank you Frosty. Do you let yours outside in the winter?
I have to say thank you to everyone for all of your advice. I haven't had any response from our local bird sanctuary.

Back
Top Bottom