Need advice

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by annetteu, Jan 17, 2013.

1. annetteu

annetteu Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    Greenwood
    I have a mamma chicken who after the first egg hatched forgot about the rest. Do I take the chick in hopes that she will go bake to sitting or do I do nothing?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If she has already left the nest, it is unlikely that she will return if you take the chick away. Do you have or can you set up a makeshift incubator? This is a problem that frequently happens with staggered hatches.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I had this happen with me once. I left the unhatched eggs (2 of them) and mom went back to sleep on the nest with the chicks. One of the eggs hatched about 2 days after she got up to run around with the chicks. Poor chick nearly dead when I found it. You can imagine my surprise though! I thought the egg was off!

I think the best way forward now is to do as Sourland suggested and put them in an incubator and keep them warm and humid and hope for the best.

4. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    If you dont have an icubator set up a heating pad on low or put them in a box under a light but make sure you dont cook them , at this point a little low is better , they may not hatch but miricles do happen so go for it.

5. Silseb

Silseb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2012
    Yes try to save it. we just saved 2 babies in dec. they are now fine and healthy 1 month-olds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by