Need advise on day 26 hatch still in progress!

Miss Chickpea

Chirping
Dec 30, 2017
Ontario, Canada
hi everyone! Need some help/advise...

I am on day 26 of a hatch. Hen was on the clutch till day 21, then walked away. Eggs have been in a incubator since. They started moving on day 23, cheeping on day 25 around 11am and two pipped evening of the 25th. I now have one fully hatch, one still only pipped, shell piece is off but still see membrane. There is a hole though so air is getting in.

The remaining 3 eggs seemed to have stopped moving and I’m worried they might be out of air? It has been approx 27hrs since they started chirping. Can I do a float test now to see if they are still alive? Should I poke a tiny hole for air? Any advise is welcome!! This is my first time for everything.

Thank you!

They may not have survived but you can check them. Try tapping on the eggs while holding them to your ear and see if you hear anything. The one that has pipped could be stuck and may need help.

You can try to help them, but they probably aren't alive. You try candling too, as the unhatched eggs may be younger.

Chicken eggs are supposed to hatch on Day 21 give or take a day....... at Day 26 I would assume they are all dead.

I have had my latest hatch on day 25 but that is unusual. You can try candling but may not see any movement. Usually it is difficult so see movement when candling during last days but possible.

If the pipped egg is still alive, I use tweezers and slowly peel the eggshell back and if you see any blood, stop. If you don't see any blood proceed carefully exposing the membrane. the blood vessels will be in the membrane. Again if you see any blood, stop. Most likely if you see blood the chick may have not absorbed all of the yolk yet. You can wrap a moist paper towel loosely around the egg. I usually mist the eggs too to add a bit of moisture. Just proceed carefully. if you need to moisten the membrane, a Q-tip works well dipped in warm water and used to moisten it. Good luck...

Thanks guys, second one is safely out but I did have to intervene. No bleeding, yolk is absorbed. But the egg shell is still attached to it, so I leave it and let it detach naturally or should I cut it?

Back
Top Bottom