1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need advise with a cockerel behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by aldarita, Jan 28, 2014.

1. aldarita

aldarita Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2012
    Brenham TX
    I have 16 pullets and hens and 2 eight months old cockerels. The alpha cockerel doesn't let the other one mate with any of the females, he tries but gets reprimemded every time. Now the second cockerel has tried to outsmart the alpha and is getting into the coop and tries to mate with the pullets while they are in the nesting boxes laying an egg. I have pulled him out and put him on a cage but as soon as he is out, he goes back to the coop to find a pullet to mate. I hate to have to put him in a cage every day while the pullets are laying because this takes several hours. Is there anything else I can do to stop him from doing this?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    This is normal behavior when there are two cockerels present, and any other two cockerels would most likely do the same. Separating or removing him is really the only solution.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by