Need Advise

KarensKoop

Hatching
10 Years
Sep 7, 2009
My son is looking for a fancy breed of chicken to use for his 4H project next year. He showed his two silkies this year and got blue ribbons on both! He is really interested in the chickens with the long tails or something fancy like that. We don't know a lot about chickens but would love to hear your advise about what you think would be a good breed for a 9 year old boy.
Thanks

Phoenix males have long, beautiful tails. They aren't super common, but not so hard to find that you can't have hatching eggs or day old chicks shipped. Good luck on his project. My girls are wanting to do d'anvers this year.

We have looked these up and my son is sold. How hearty are they? will they do well in the winter?

If you have silkies doing fine in your weather, a phoenix will do fine. I do know someone who raises them and sells shipping eggs. I will ask her how cold-hearty they are.

That would be great. Will you share who it is that is so I can check out her website and possibly order some?

Well...she is in Montana...so I would say they are cold hardy.
big_smile.png
She says you have to worry a bit about frostbite on their combs though. I'm getting her info for you so you two can talk.

Back
Top Bottom